Sadly Leaving the Fold.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
"Fire up the Quattro"
I must say that having had 4matic for the last couple of years, it does give you a great feeling of security and I would be reluctant to manage without it sometime in the future.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I must say that having had 4matic for the last couple of years, it does give you a great feeling of security and I would be reluctant to manage without it sometime in the future.

There's a particular roundabout quite close to where I live that I had to be very careful on, when driving the Coupé when it was wet. Last night I just blasted right through it, I didn't even lift on the exit, the Quattro just dug in and flew in and out of it like it was on rails. Yes, the road was wet and a fair degree of negative camber too. :cool: :D

Four wheel drive, don't you just love it?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
977d5d0de8a6076a974a871d00cef5ec.jpg

The last of my new car photo's. I think it looks not to bad to be honest, I like it, all be it, it doesn't have the same class as the Coupé.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's hoping the '13' plate won't prove to be unlucky Jim ;):D

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here's hoping the '13' plate won't be unlucky Jim ;):D

I must admit I had that thought to Andy, I quite like it as, in the local venacular, at a little stretch, lol, it becomes Bad 13 Ow Ya! We say ah ya which fits perfectly, lol.

However, it will be getting my private plate put on as soon as is possible.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Jim, sorry been a bit occupied today and just seen this. Gutted you’ve given up the E, but as you’ve said some of us stick around, reason being is the forum has by far the best bunch of guys anywhere- period! Whatever you end up driving meantime it will be interesting to hear- take care in these strange times !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
977d5d0de8a6076a974a871d00cef5ec.jpg

The last of my new car photo's. I think it looks not to bad to be honest, I like it, all be it, it doesn't have the same class as the Coupé.

Very very nice Jim, don’t think I’ve seen a red one before!

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
No, it's the other bunch of Cocks Bob, the Audi bunch. B..M... and I don't get along as I can't get comfortable in their cars.

I only got t'Audi because it's all round cheaper than my Merc was, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, and it's a diseasal, with much of the same equipment inside, the only thing missing is the kudos that comes with the Merc. :(

This was amply demonstrated to me when I was driving to do the exchange.
In the Merc as I drew up behind people they would look in their mirrors, see me coming, and then pull in and get out of the way. :D

Different case in the Audi, several drivers were determined they were not letting past, some even sat out in the outside lane for miles while the inner lane(s) were clear. :mad:
And they have the cheek to say Audi drivers are cocks! :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I'm all set ready for the teasing to begin when I finally reveal what I bought. I know this is going to happen because 'er indoors first words were, and I quote, "Oh FFS! that's a hairdressers car, why'd you buy that? It's a womans car ya daft berk"

No more clues required. Let the banter begin. o_O

Welcome to the 4 rings club! :D

If they don't move out of the way, simply go around them :D

Oh, enjoy the TT

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very very nice Jim, don’t think I’ve seen a red one before!

They are few and far between John, I've seen what was coming my way for several months and have been looking for a red, manual, diseasal, quattro for quite some time. If the financial situation hadn't went west, I'd have been driving a Porsche Cayman, but I wasn't born that lucky, so started looking for something I could,

1. Afford.

2. With the right spec.

3. Be Quattro

4. Maintain myself.

The TT Quattro is common enough in White, Grey, Silver and Black, however, the Red ones and to a lessor extent the Blue ones are not easy to find. I had found one in Dunfermline but, and it's a big but, the vendor wouldn't give a test drive due to the Covid situation, I don't know why.

I was still going to look at it, as he said he would allow me to sit in it, even start it but, not drive it.

The night before I was due to go check it out, I was perusing Autotrader and found a red one in Edinburgh. The vendor this time was more than happy to let me drive it.

It was two years newer, some £750 cheaper and only a few thousand miles more on the clocks, no brainer as they say. I mean how many Guys or Gals do you know that would buy a car without test driving it first?

The rest as they say is history, I bought it, collected it yesterday and spent six hours on it today getting it up to an acceptable standard in the cleanliness department.

I love it, it handles like it's on rails and so much cheaper to buy, run, and maintain than the Coupé which, was the main criteria.

Thank goodness.

I still miss the snob value of the Merc though, lol. :D:D:D

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Answered in order, in the humongous boot or the back seat, doors left and right just like the Coupé.

Take one hundred lines for lack of attention! :shock: :D:D:D:D

Now that I've thought about it there is a similarity between a small jet and the Quattro. :D
I was paying attention... just not to what the stewardess was saying...:cool::p:D

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Only ever owned one Audi a 1982 GT Coupe, it was a great car.
My son had an Audi TT Quattro, changed it for a VW Golf Type R, now that shifts.

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
80f68b974ab7792267a8c7aab4063fd9.jpg

After six hours of fettling to get it to my satisfaction.

Good car Jimbo, tried to get the wife to have one of these. (I test drove one and a real nice drive). Of course I happened to notice the ML across the road, lol still my preference. Enjoy your new ride.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Only ever owned one Audi a 1982 GT Coupe, it was a great car.
My son had an Audi TT Quattro, changed it for a VW Golf Type R, now that shifts.

My first MB was a company car and it was a 190E in 1990. Shortly after I got my first MB the Motor Group I worked for then reviewed the Company Car list and because MB was not one of their Franchises they removed them from the list, so no MB's for a few years. :(

I then turned to Audi and had numerous A4's and a few A3's. Because I drove around 50,000 miles a year during the 90's attending Car Auctions all over the country they changed my car twice a year. During that time I must had had 18/20 Audi's and I loved them. :)

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was paying attention... just not to what the stewardess was saying...:cool::p:D

Was it perhaps what she was wearing that put you off?

Got a thing for girls in Uniform Russ? :D:D:D:D

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Welcome to the world of Audi. I love my S5 and im sure you will love your TT. I'm lucky that I still have my SL so I get the best of both worlds.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Was it perhaps what she was wearing that put you off?

Got a thing for girls in Uniform Russ? :D:D:D:D
I have no recollection of that event and/or incident...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Had 2 Audis in my time. First was an original S3. That went like brown stuff off a shovel until it was stolen.
It also has the dubious honour of being the only car I've ever had to abandon in snowy weather....
Second was an A8 4.2 Quattro Sport. That car I absolutely loved. Fast, quiet but with a fabulous engine and superb handling (and proper quattro system as opposed to the haldex version). Even on knackered tyres it was pretty good in snow (it felt a bit tail happy so I had a look and the rear tyres were almost slicks!).

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom