SBC Brakes onW211

N4D5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 cdi sport (55)
This thread has started to worry me now. I have a 2005 E280 CDI sport estate with SBC brakes. It's done 64000 miles should I consider selling it. I don't fancy a fat bill for a replacement pump. I love the car and it suits my needs perfectly but this is worrying.

Gotta agree with ya here mate worrying me too. Mine has done 110k.:sad:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
This is the unknown thing, the pedal is fly by wire for the best part, and how much movement is there when it switched off,,the system runs at 160 bar,if there is a pressure loss then the dash goes red, so a caliper should not put the red dash on.

Are MB going to tell us of the real fault and if the SAM was involved.

I can turn my SBC off and try, and see how it feels. I can do this on my drive way,, the parking brake will not hold it in reverse on it.

The sbc pump is basically a servo, so if the servo assistance is lost ie sbc pump, the the master cylinder will still operate as normal. you can test this by depessing the brake pedal several times with the ign off and door closed. A caliper would not inself loose make the brake pedal sink to the floor unless its leaking OR is sticking on and making the fluid boil.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The sbc pump is basically a servo, so if the servo assistance is lost ie sbc pump, the the master cylinder will still operate as normal. you can test this by depessing the brake pedal several times with the ign off and door closed. A caliper would not inself loose make the brake pedal sink to the floor unless its leaking OR is sticking on and making the fluid boil.

Thank you for your input and thinking,,I have just been out and tried it, and to all intents and purposes the pedal does go very nearly down to the floor.

So to see if any braking effect at all I will try it on my driveway in the morning.

thank you again and thats easier than plugging in STAR

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
So to see if any braking effect at all I will try it on my driveway in the morning.

I'd be careful of that, because if there isn't enough force to stop the car then you'll hit the house.
Try it somewhere with a decent run off area.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd be careful of that, because if there isn't enough force to stop the car then you'll hit the house.
Try it somewhere with a decent run off area.

Thank you and a very good point,,I will try a straight dip where the road goes up again:D:D

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
This thread has started to worry me now. I have a 2005 E280 CDI sport estate with SBC brakes. It's done 64000 miles should I consider selling it. I don't fancy a fat bill for a replacement pump. I love the car and it suits my needs perfectly but this is worrying.

I wouldn't worry - 95,000 now and no concerns yet. They'll replace the pump FOC anyway so no need to worry about a fat bill. If in doubt you can have it checked. My Dads was replaced on a service. No problem with it and no warnings but it had clocked up the required number of activations so a new one was fitted automatically. I am wondering whether I can get the indie to interrogate mine and tell me whether it's due for replacement though. If it is, I can simply book it into the dealer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Too foggy down her to do a run with no brakes and take photo's this morning

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Malc, you will need to deactivate pump to test for pedal height. No fog here. :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malc, you will need to deactivate pump to test for pedal height. No fog here. :)

Indeed I will :D, while still thinking about this, in my normal driving position with the seat right back, if the pedal went too far down I would not be able to reach it.

I have worked out the road that I can do it on, as I intend to get to 30mph, turn off the engine, deactivate the pressure and see how far I go,,yes I will have no power steering, if I do not post back you will know that it did not go well;)

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Good Luck, nice knowing you ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As a safety feature, the SBC is always active from the pedal,,even when the car is off, this has to be so if you think about it even if you were towing the car or pushing it around, Last night i did not have my shoes on,,so I did not get the correct feel,,7 pumps start mine up with the engine not running

All I can do now is to take STAR with me and de activate the SBC and take it from there on a suitable road

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
As a safety feature, the SBC is always active from the pedal,,even when the car is off, this has to be so if you think about it even if you were towing the car or pushing it around, Last night i did not have my shoes on,,so I did not get the correct feel,,7 pumps start mine up with the engine not running

All I can do now is to take STAR with me and de activate the SBC and take it from there on a suitable road

Yes, I have moved mine with the key in the ignition but engine off and used N to get the car to roll and the footbrake to stop the car.

Remember, the "wake up" will trigger on the door being openned. You often hear the pump when you unlock the car.

The bold: Please don't, for your own sake.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Yes, I have moved mine with the key in the ignition but engine off and used N to get the car to roll and the footbrake to stop the car.

Remember, the "wake up" will trigger on the door being openned. You often hear the pump when you unlock the car.

i think it would be a low speed test on a piece of quiet straight road, to simulate a failure, to allow Malcolm to assess what happens when a failure occurs, so that he can advise accordingly

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I will start on a slight slope with a run up the other side, I must find out before I do the 150mph runs in the summer

trouble is the rain and getting the car wet

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
i think it would be a low speed test on a piece of quiet straight road, to simulate a failure, to allow Malcolm to assess what happens when a failure occurs, so that he can advise accordingly

I suppose so.

You will get about 10% braking power so its not so good. A word of advice to Malc, move your seat closer to the wheel, that pedal will need shoved in further and A LOT harder.

Still, when SBC works its ace. So strong.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yes just a rolling start,,I will know instantly if the car will stop

All on a farm track

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I suppose so.

You will get about 10% braking power so its not so good. A word of advice to Malc, move your seat closer to the wheel, that pedal will need shoved in further and A LOT harder.

Still, when SBC works its ace. So strong.

but when it doesnt...............

i just dont like the idea of fly by wire on brakes. at least with solid linkages, you know the linkage will work. with a bit of wire with plugs etc, you can never be 100% sure IMO

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes just a rolling start,,I will know instantly if the car will stop

All on a farm track

it will stop. eventually!

farm track? you obviously have better farm tracks there than we do here! i avoid taking a car on them, wherever possible!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it will stop. eventually!

farm track? you obviously have better farm tracks there than we do here! i avoid taking a car on them, wherever possible!

They are better than the roads now Pete

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom