Security

PaulThomasFarrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Prem Btec A
Just woke up and had dreamt the car had been stolen! I’d gone out to take the Mrs to the station and it was gone.
Given the most recent drama this car has experienced I’m not sure the insurance company would tolerate any more calls from me.
So any suggestions as to the best way to ensure Richard Head doesn’t drive my car away while I sleep? I don’t have a garage and park on the street.
I’ve googled fuel cut out switch, steering lock and fake flashing camera thing. Thoughts?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Something big and visible, it’s about buying time - if they’ve a big wheel lock to remove they’ll probably just move on to the next car.
A tracker is also useful, many variants available these days, they just help you get it back though.
Fake OBD port in place of the real one. Many versions of those now that even give power so the tea-leaf thinks it’s just knackered and so doesn’t go looking for the real one.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I could design a remote controlled solenoid actuator that shoots a large spike up through the drivers seat.
Operated by dialling a SIM card number :cool:o_O
489431F1-EAAC-4637-8A5F-7DEB534E5F96.jpeg

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
Some ideas:
eBay stickers “this vehicle is monitored by police and is tracked etc etc” - for around a fiver you can get 4 window stickers with the reg number printed on for authenticity.

Bulldog clamp

Stoplock pro + or similar

Ghost immobiliser (won’t start without a PIN which is made up of a specific sequence of inputs on various controls (for example 2 presses of hazards + 3 rear demister presses + window up button).

Bottle of vodka in the glove box topped up with something nasty … doesn’t prevent the car being stolen, but it should turn up within a mile with thief still present but slightly under the weather.

Beware of the Pit Bull / Alsatian / Rottweiler house window sticker to deter some tw** from burgling your house in search of the car keys.

10 months ago I was burgled in the dead of night for my car keys and my 2016 W212 has never been seen since. I now use a layered approach on the car, plus a driveway alarm and house burglar alarm.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could also fit a stealth tracker. Won't stop it going but will make it easier to recover.
Normal trackers are easy to find as the transmit every 30 seconds or so. A stealth tracker transmits every 30 to 60 minutes making it a lot harder to find. Only issue is it needs to be stationary go for longer to recover.

Other than that never keep keys near doors or windows or outside walls (especially if you have keyless go).

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Autowatch Ghost.

Can be fitted in short time at Comandonline in Lightwater.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
As for a visible physical device I use the disklok on all my cars have done for the last 20 yrs or so. I saw a program a few later on top gear or fifth gear where thieves tried to attack it and it couldn’t be beaten.

Expensive and bulky but it covers the entire wheel! I just keep it in the bag it came with and pop it in the boot when not in use. (comes in 3 sizes to suit all wheel sizes). The bar type devices thieves have been know to slice of a section of the steering wheel and the car still drives easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
With a car parked on a public road I would feel it would be the most vulnerable of any scenario and would look at layered security;
In the belief that any determined thief will defeat any ,mechanical device, I would first choose a highly visible, cheap and easy to fit and remove mechanical device to deter the opportunist looking for a joyride.
Then one of two options, for that determined thief, if you're not very handy with a car's complicated workings fit a proprietary supplemental Alarm/Immobiliser and maybe you'll get an insurance discount for this as well? my preferred option is to install your own bespoke immobiliser, Electrical, Pneumatic or a combination with a hidden switch/valve but accessible from the driver's seat.
Fit a proprietary tracker of appropriate insurance category, if you think your car's really worth stealing and/or recovering! ;)

OP
PaulThomasFarrell

PaulThomasFarrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Prem Btec A
I could design a remote controlled solenoid actuator that shoots a large spike up through the drivers seat.
Operated by dialling a SIM card number :cool:o_O
View attachment 74214
Knowing my luck I’d forget to turn it off….moon river…..

Top Bottom