service brake warning

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thats ok, back on track now, getting confused with Eric's leg, (The chap ), trouble with having 2 car's with the same faults!!!

I can take having my leg pulled ;):D

mihaimaier

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Do you know if MB is still replacing the SBC pump as a goodwill gesture?
I have the problem described here - but only one thing: I've got without any braking power, but after I've restarted the car everytinhg worked fine.
This is somehow wierd to me - how it's possible the pump not to work correctly, but only sometimes?

Many thanks,
Mihai

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi everybody,

Do you know if MB is still replacing the SBC pump as a goodwill gesture?
I have the problem described here - but only one thing: I've got without any braking power, but after I've restarted the car everytinhg worked fine.
This is somehow wierd to me - how it's possible the pump not to work correctly, but only sometimes?

Many thanks,
Mihai

Yes they are changing the pumps free, the first tme round anyway.

It is odd that you get no warning, the SBC runs at a constant pressure, should the pressure drop to an unsafe level the dash goes red and warns you.

Plugging into STAR will tell all

mihaimaier

Reaction score
Yes, it was a red error message on the dash - sorry for not specifing that.

I was actually to the MB dealer in my town and they've told me it cost arround E1000 to replace the pump.

What should I do? How can I force them? It there any MB call center or something like that where I can complain?

Many thanks for your answer!

Regards,
Mihai

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the dealer wants to charge you,,go to another,,no one has been charged up to yet as far as I know

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I was charged £1400 for a new SBC pump and fought for months with Mercedes until they finally yielded and refunded my costs, and my car had only covered 30k mls:mad:.

Alfiebeard

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I was charged £1400 for a new SBC pump and fought for months with Mercedes until they finally yielded and refunded my costs, and my car had only covered 30k mls:mad:.

Alfiebeard
Another good reason to not buy a car fitted with SBC.

mihaimaier

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been again to the dealer to ask them for MB to pay for my braking pump.
And I was told that SBC pneumatic unit and the braking pump are different things (which seems resonable) but the braking pump was never the subject of goodwill replacements. Only the SBC unit was changed for free.

How does this sound to you guys? Are they right?

Many thanks,
Mihai

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not quite sure what is gone here,, yes there are other parts to the SBC,,are they saying that the pedal has gone

mihaimaier

Reaction score
No, they are saying the "central braking pump" has gone, which is different than the "SBC pneumatic unit" (and only this one was the subject of free replacements).

Mihai

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that they are having you on,, there is only 1 pump in the whole system

yeh yeh

Reaction score
Hi,first, i must apologise for hijacking your thread,i feel so stupid that i forgot how to make a new thread.
my brake warning light is also on, it came on after the disc pad is worn, thats normal,
after i replaced with new pads,it still come after the engine is started, do i have to take the car to MB to get it reset?
many thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,first, i must apologise for hijacking your thread,i feel so stupid that i forgot how to make a new thread.
my brake warning light is also on, it came on after the disc pad is worn, thats normal,
after i replaced with new pads,it still come after the engine is started, do i have to take the car to MB to get it reset?
many thanks.

No you do not need to go to MB for this.

it depends on the year of the car, up to about 2000 cars used a single wire sensor, with a plastic insulated pin in the brake pads,, once worn down the brake disc wore through the plastic, the pin touched the disc and the light comes on the dash. With this system the lamp will only come on after you have pressed the brake pedal.

With the newer twin wire system, this works on the open circuit principle, when the sensors are new and intact the circuit is complete, when the pads wear down the disc cuts through a wire, the circuit is then open circuit and the light will be on all of the time, until the sensor at fault has been replaced, and the circuit is complete once more

yeh yeh

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Malcom, so what do i do to rectyfied the fault? do i replace the sensor leads?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the light came on before you replaced the pads, then yes you need new sensor wires

fiz170

Reaction score
Hi Guys
"Brake warning light -visit workshop" appeared, visited an indie and was told that the brake pads had been installed without putting the car to sleep??? Resulted in a damaged SBC unit costing in the region of £2000.
Is this indie pulling leg?
2003 E270CDi with 100k!
No problems with braking, has passed MOT and checked by high street tyre and exhuast place?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom