SHOULD i BUY 22CDI or 270CDI Est leather etc

James Edwards

Reaction score
Considering one of the above - In the long term what would be the best buy to replace my going well 154K 98' C250td sport est
All views gratefully received
Thanks
James in Kent

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
James,
There really isn't a lot in it. I've just been through this with an E. I had the common opinion of the 220 - probably a bit gutless. I was wrong - took out an E220CDI and was very suprised at how quick and smooth it was. I ended up with a 270 but that was really just me being a bit greedy as whilst the 220 has more than enough grunt, I wanted something just with that little bit extra.
The 220 will be more economical, the 270 is a very fast car. Its really down to what you want.
There are stories of 270 turbos failing prematurely, though I suspect its probably 1% or so in reality (and a friend is on his 3rd turbo in a golf so it happens to everything) so I'd keep some form of warranty (a cheap insurance one would do) but then I wouldn't run a merc without some form of warranty to cover the expensive bits anyway.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
My comments from when you last asked this question still stand.

One other thing, if you're looking at buying a pretty recent C220, is that some people are unhappy with the economy of the EU4 engines. You don't get this with C270, they never did an EU4 version.

OP
J

James Edwards

Reaction score
C220 or C270 estate

Thanks to you guys for your input.
I was just trying to turn on the clock say 5 years to see if one or the other would stand out
a) would loose less depreciation
b) would be more saleable
c) Cost much less to run
At the moment I think the 270 would add to the feel good factor the 220 may be better on the pocket!! Not sure about depreciation?

Thanks
James

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
There are more 220s around given that they are popular repmobiles so in some ways the 270 will be rarer and so should hold its value better, but they should both be reasonable as they are both well regarded diesels.

Supercue

Reaction score
I would advise anyone not to buy ever again, i have just leased a C200CDI with Sports pack and full leather (Little underpowered, i know!!) but still does allright to trundle around in.

Got it for 2 years and then give it back, then the nightmare i have in the 22nd or 23rd month is deciding what i will choose next!! If i decide to lease again. Which i will for sure!!

I have just owned a Mercedes ML for little over a year (03 model Inspiration) and the depreciation i suffered on that is enough to pay for the lease on a new motor for the 2 years and i havent got the hassle of trying to sell it at the end of the 2 years!!

Of which now the ML has been sold, PHEW!!

But going back to the original post, i had a C220 as a courtesy car and couldn't believe the difference in the power compared to my little 200!!

I hate to think what the power difference between the 220 and the 270.

Repsmobiles, but there are certainly no where near the amount of these babies on the road as the new 3 series!!

Attachments

• IMG_02722.JPG
    IMG_02722.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 19

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom