Simple brake nightmare ??

tuckburg

Reaction score
Hello & thnkx brake wizards,
I have a 78' 300D. When it was shipped to me I was told front rotors replaced with new pads. There was a pair of rear pads in trunk along with the original booster (one pair of pads was put on leaving other side to be done, and he put in a used booster to replace the old(true). That the rotors needed turning(false,needed replaced). Brake system needed to be bled (true/kinda) and she was ready to hit the road. After replacing rotors and an pads then bleeding system. Symptom were: . I cannot hear any vacuum leaks or hear any pressure noises at booster. I am getting constant fluid w/no air out of calipers.

Problem: Even after replacing both rear rotors and installing other side of rear pads. Flushing system, rebuilding both rear calipers, rebuilding master cylinder, i'm getting same result, Immediate stiff pedal then gradually sinking to floor. " What could be the culprit or what all ???????? "

Tucker

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
U need to do a system check from the master cylinder back along the lines. If the pedal is going fully to the floor it would appear that the master cylinder is at fault. just a thot on this , many ppl when working on brakes, refitting pads etc... push the cylinders back into the calipers and basically return the fluid back into the master cylinder resovoir.. what happens on occasions is that the master cylinder rubbers flip over and in effect u get a sinking pedal ..just a thot... vauxhalls were famous for it. do u have abs on ur car? 78???

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will say that the master cylinder has gone and the fluid is passing the rubber plunger

OP
T

tuckburg

Reaction score
Thanx for the Brake direction.

Guys thanks alot,
Is it possible to assume that one could breake the cylinder down, then flip seals back to proper position then reinstall ???? or rebuild or new.

Again many thanks for all input. It will be nice to finally hit the autoway and just enjoy.

Tucker

"It is so frustrating to hit a wall that one can only see over, but not get threw. But how satisfying and rewarding the freedom can be when all get threw."

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Repair kits are available, and no you cant fix the old one

OP
T

tuckburg

Reaction score
Alrighty then,
I can handle it from here, I guess i will ask next time how to retract cylinders in calipers so this doesnt happen again.

Thanks alot Malcolm and all others,

Tucker

hmang

Reaction score
you could slacken the caliper bleed nipple before pushing the pistons back

OP
T

tuckburg

Reaction score
Thanx a bunch,
Sometimes I must think outside th box. Next time ill be prepared.

tucker

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom