S600 2001, SL350 2006
I'll ask him Raj.

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
He says that he dropped the sump down 1 cm. I don't really understand, do you?

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
Raj, you said that he should be using the front of the L and R to align with the copper links but on the video the links seem to align with the middle of the L and R, is that ok?

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
Also, could you tell me how to unlock the tensioner, he says it looks like it's just 'put in'

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
Ok, I've done some research. He just re-used the old tensioner so that means it will be fully extended I think and that would stretch the chain. I've told him to get a new one.

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
I'm hoping that this is the solution to the problem of the timing marks not lining up.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Be very very wary of any mechanic that's willing to start an engine where the timing is known to be wrong 'to see if oil pressure will fix it'.

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
Ok noted thank you

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Multiple R230's & E250 CDI
He says that he dropped the sump down 1 cm. I don't really understand, do you?

Yes that will work, i understand what he is doing there.

Raj, you said that he should be using the front of the L and R to align with the copper links but on the video the links seem to align with the middle of the L and R, is that ok?

If you have an arrow on your camshaft adjuster you align to that, if no arrow you align to the front of the L and R.

Also, could you tell me how to unlock the tensioner, he says it looks like it's just 'put in'

its a two man job to unlock it, one man needs to holds the back of the passenger side exhaust cam while the other applies 70nm to the crank bolt anti clockwise. This will unlock it.

Ok, I've done some research. He just re-used the old tensioner so that means it will be fully extended I think and that would stretch the chain. I've told him to get a new one.

Correct

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Engine still in the car? Reseal the sump with a 10mm drop? Recipe for a clogged oil pickup imo. Sorry, I’m out!

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
We got there in the end:):):) Like so many of these conundrums, the answer is something simple and staring you in the face.

When he put the cam adjuster plates back on he noticed that one was stamped ER and the other was stamped AR. He assumed that ER stood for exhaust right but it doesn't, consequently he put the plates in the wrong place. :confused: Now he's corrected that mistake and all the timing lines up perfectly. He's finishing up now, the car will be ready tomorrow morning.

I'd like to thank everyone on here for their kind advice and assistance, I'll report back after I've been for a proper test drive.

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We got there in the end:):):) Like so many of these conundrums, the answer is something simple and staring you in the face.

When he put the cam adjuster plates back on he noticed that one was stamped ER and the other was stamped AR. He assumed that ER stood for exhaust right but it doesn't, consequently he put the plates in the wrong place. :confused: Now he's corrected that mistake and all the timing lines up perfectly. He's finishing up now, the car will be ready tomorrow morning.

I'd like to thank everyone on here for their kind advice and assistance, I'll report back after I've been for a proper test drive.

Glad you got there in the end, yes something so simple, the 4 pulse wheels all have their own locations.

ER = intake right
AR = exhaust right
AL = exhaust left
EL = Intake left

Let us know how you get on after the first drive

Last edited:
OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
Maybe Raj or anyone can answer this question, the problem is that I don't know how to ask it properly but... he is saying that he didn't lock the pulley for the right exhaust when he took it off. It's now making a noise and he doesn't know how many teeth to put it back? Do you understand the question?

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe Raj or anyone can answer this question, the problem is that I don't know how to ask it properly but... he is saying that he didn't lock the pulley for the right exhaust when he took it off. It's now making a noise and he doesn't know how many teeth to put it back? Do you understand the question?

Yes i know exactly what you are talking about. The exhaust cams are spring loaded to prevent any gear backlash.

Unfortunately i always lock them before pulling them off and new ones come locked too with a pin in place so dont know the answer.

Your only way to find out is to mark the left exhaust cam, unlock it and see how many teeth it will need to go back to be in the correct position. I have never done this so dont know how strong the backlash spring is, and if you could cause damage to the teeth trying to push it back, be careful they are very expensive!

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
Thanks very much once again Raj.

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you get really really stuck i do have one in the garage but would need about half the retail price for it.

OP
G

Geoffps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600 2001, SL350 2006
OK thanks, I'll see how he gets on and keep your offer in mind.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180

Happens a lot.
E Einlass Inlet
A Auspuff Exhaust
Always worth remembering you're working on a German car.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Great forum this is :cool::)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom