SL R230 Fan Belt Broken, Advise Needed

T1M4

Reaction score
Hi,
Today whilst driving home (lucky very close to home) I heard a strange noise coming from the engine of my SL350. Upon inspection the fan belt has started to break and is flailing around the engine.
Few questions:
Is this a job that I can do myself? If not has anyone had one done and know the cost of it?
What does the belt drive? e.g: water pump
Is the car safe to drive with belt like this? To take to a garage if needed.

Thanks in advance
Tim

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I personally would avoid driving it as the belt will power essential things such as power steering, alternator and water pump.
Not done a 350 but in any other car I've done its a DIY job. Just take note of the belt route before you start!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above, and it can break right up, how far would you drive. A belt is quite simple to change, the tensioner just swivels to release and refit the belt.

Why has it failed.

You do need to inspect the crankshaft pulley, to see if it is running true. is the rubber deforming and showing.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom