SL350 'check oil level'

Clutchslip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'07 SL350
Hi - I've got this warning intermittently on the dash, the dipstick oil level is good. Can someone point out the most likely sensor and it's location for this fault. couldn't see any likely candidates on first inspection of the oil pan so guessing the level sensor is inside the sump or the warning is triggered by a sensor measuring a different oil parameter?
The car is an '06 R230 3.5l V6.
Cheers - Bruce.

OP
C

Clutchslip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'07 SL350
Hi - I've got this warning intermittently on the dash, the dipstick oil level is good. Can someone point out the most likely sensor and it's location for this fault. couldn't see any likely candidates on first inspection of the oil pan so guessing the level sensor is inside the sump or the warning is triggered by a sensor measuring a different oil parameter?
The car is an '06 R230 3.5l V6.
Cheers - Bruce.
I asked the parts guys at my local MB dealer to supply me with an oil level sensor, I googled the part number and found a pic of it inside the sump which agreed with the fact it appeared to have a float inside.
So I drained the oil and took the sump pan off, nice shallow pan so little oil left inside, undid the electrical connector on the passenger top-side of the sump and unbolted the existing sensor and swapped them over.
No made gasket on the sump pan so I cleaned off the silicon and used a Permatex product to create a new one, all back together and oiled up but the message re-appeared.
Diagnostic tool ordered, which I should have done in the first place I guess.
Either the error is “latched” and needs clearing/resetting or another sensor has gone down which creates the same message.
On the plus side there was no gunk inside the bottom of the engine/on the pan - I guess showing how good modern oils and filters are.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
more likely a software issue

the amount of changes in software the manufacturer does is massive, the amount of cars that get updated is usually none....

then we get people questioning why, it starts so it must be OK - this naïve attitude really bugs me. The cost and effort of redoing the software is off the scale costly and complex. they are doing it because its needed, not for fun. Instead of believing the world is great and everyone is doing a great job I wish people would wake up

the reality with ANY SOFTWARE IN ANY DEVICE for the last 20 years...

we bodged it up to get it out the door
we had no idea what we were doing
its full of dangerous security issues
half the features we thought we included don't actually work
most of the code argues with other devices
we included lots of code we now realise might send us to jail, now we're hiding it better and removing the more obvious elements
we now realise how to write the code so most of it has the possibility of working
we wanted to add more features to check why lots of bit misbehaves
we've included lots subtle of improvements that should have been there in the first place

VW are still building in car entertainment with elements having severe security vulnerabilities that were resolved 8 years ago in the real world. As an example Win 95 fitted on 7, 1.5 meg floppy discs. Windows 10 is 40 gigabytes of utter junk, re written every 5 days.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom