Slight steering wobble after new wheels

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L
I recently replaced all four wheels on my W221 S-Class - from 20" AMG Wheels to 18" all round with new Eagle Asymmetic 3s.

After fitting the new wheels, car felt OK and much quieter / smoother. However, as it had been a while and seeing as though I have new wheels, I popped back to a different garage to get alignment checked (needed one with a Hunter machine). While there, the bloke mentioned about an issue with one of the measurements being "very" off (and asked if I'd been in an accident, which I hadn't). He asked if the car had always driven OK (which it had). I've attached an image showing this problem.

He mentioned that maybe the car had always been like it since manufacture and if it's something I've not noticed, I could probably ignore it. However, being the OCD I am when it comes to anything in the car, I'm now wondering if this is something that I should get fixed. I was advised that I'd need a special bolt pack that costs £1,600!!

For today, I said leave it, just correct the other bits of alignment. However, since then, I've noticed a slight "wobble" in the steering wheel on smooth roads. Seeing as the wheels were balanced before fitting, and alignment has been done, what else could it be - and should I get the other issue checked?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Personally unless the car pulls to one side I would leave that setting alone. Caster is a 'tweak' that prevents the car pulling to the left on British roads and yours may have had that applied. This is the benefit of using someone who knows MBs and Hunter machines (Avantgarde or Wheels in Motion for example).

The caster/camber adjustment bolts are not £1600!!! Steve at Avantgarde keeps them in stock.

OP
L

leeppp222

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 S350L
@LostKiwi - that's a good point!! I'm so stupid!!! A couple of years ago, I visited Black Boots / Wheels in Motion in Milton Keynes who mentioned about an issue with the car pulling to the left on British roads and opted to have that done (completely forgot until you mentioned it!) Thanks for reminding me (early onset dementia, I think!)

Puts my mind at rest, anyway.

I just need to try and identify what could be causing the wobble on the steering (it's not drastic, but it's certainly noticeable).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As LK, except check the obvious that there’s no bulges on either of the front tyres- shouldn’t be of course being new but you never know...

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Its very likely to be wheel balance if wheels/tyres are in good shape. A lot of places are very lazy and do not accurately balance wheels.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Its very likely to be wheel balance if wheels/tyres are in good shape. A lot of places are very lazy and do not accurately balance wheels.
A very good point Alex or don’t attach the weights adequately
And they fly off

Top Bottom