Smokey E320 CDI

acme8850

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2000 320 CDI that has done 126K miles, it runs well but has a tendency to kick out a cloud of black smoke when pulling away, once on the move the exhaust seems quite clear but as you stop again in traffic or at lights, or a junction, it will create another cloud again when you pull away. I am also having trouble getting any more than 32mpg shown on the computer.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Vern

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Baiscally this is evidence of it running rich. (or at least not buring all the fuel it has). Your soot is unburnt fuel, hence the poor mpg.
Idealy get a diagnostic done.
There are lots of sensors that could cause this, from the temp sensor identifying it running cold (I assume it isn't?) to the MAS (very common and cheap to fix if you know where to go) and O2 sensors as well as other items.
If you are going to guess the cause, I'd start with the MAS (or MAF depending on who you speak to).

OP
A

acme8850

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I'll change the air filter first and see what that does.
Thanks again.
Regards
Vern

OP
A

acme8850

Reaction score
Good News Hibbo's advice is top!!
Changed the air filter today and the smoking has dramatically reduced, still a little though when you pull away or give it a toe full.
Jberks your comments on cold running have got me thinking.
When running & warm, the needle on the temp guage is just on or a needle thickness below the 80 mark. However it does seem to take a while to get to this point.
Do you think this is playing a part? If so what do you think might help warm it up quicker and to a slightly greater temp?

Regards
Vern

Top Bottom