Smoking engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hollo

Hello all ,

I've been getting very poor MPG from my 1989 230TE  , and after asking around someone suggested that the engine could be all choked up as I do a lot of stop/start short journeys  . So off I went for a foot to the floor blast , and low and behold at above 5,000 RPM there was quite a bit of whiteish smoke , bearing in mind that I was going about 85 MPH so for me to see it , there must have been plenty of it . So am I doing the right thing ? or completely the wrong thing ? . If indeed the engine does need a de-coke approx. how much £££ am I looking at ? , or could it be a valve / valve seat problem ? or am I expecting too much for an engine with 134,000 on the clock ? . Finally my oil pressure gauge always reads 3 untill the engine is fully warmed up  , and after a long run , when the engine comes back to idle it goes back to 1.5 to 2 , but it always goes back upto 3 again once the engine is under load , is this normal ? .

Thanks
Mike .  

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi

As for the oil pressure nothing wrong there.

As for the fuel consumption, I would make that the emissions and the rest of the engine tune is ok before  taking cylinder head off. If the cyl head is coked up. It will have an adverse effect on the fuel consumption.

Overhauling the cyl head to include replacement valve guides and cleaning reseating valves and surface skimming the cyl head would cost approx £430plus vat. From us any way.

Regards

Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom