Sprinter 311cdi=abs problem?

OP
cobe

cobe

Reaction score
Hi Malcom,its allways started well In fact really well, is the abs very sensative to voltage drops ? I ask because allthough my son has rung to say all lights are still off I sort of feel I have learned not a lot about the fault that caused it ie checked a few connectors cleaned batt terminals and ??? thanks mike.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Malcom,its allways started well In fact really well, is the abs very sensative to voltage drops ? I ask because allthough my son has rung to say all lights are still off I sort of feel I have learned not a lot about the fault that caused it ie checked a few connectors cleaned batt terminals and ??? thanks mike.

Hi Mike, its very hard sometimes to know the exact cause, as you say connectors,electronics etc, but the ABS is often the first to record are starting blip as we call it

I am so pleased its fixed

OP
cobe

cobe

Reaction score
Thanks for your help malcom,I guess at the very least i know what i cleaned and wiggled and if it comes back and i wiggle the same bits and it cures it again at least it will give me some clues,proberly an old fashioned thing "a need to know why" I guess the new way is did they fix it what was it? answer I dont know dont care its running fine now! i think i'm getting old he he thanks again Mike.:)

OP
cobe

cobe

Reaction score
Hi all (again) would like just a small amount of info please,all seems to be well accept that if the luton spins a rear wheel (not difficult i have driven it) the asr light comes on together with the abs and appears to stay on untill you stop turn off and restart the engine again? is this the normal thing ? or should it just turn it's self of when it regains traction ? Thanks in advance,Mike.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They should go out when the van stabilizes again. these also relate to speed signals

OP
cobe

cobe

Reaction score
Hi malcom,I have assumed that the speed signal from the wheel sensor tell the asr/abs that,it's lost traction, then ajusts and applys the brake on that wheel to give more traction to the stable wheel ? so it's working but for some reason not reseting it's self when traction is regained "or" not recognising it or not receiveing it Hummmm? part of the problem has been solved as it would not reset atall before,feel like turning the asr off but there is a dier warning in the handbook if you do,(brake burn out if you do) I feel old age brain fade comming on he he,but would be interested if i have the rough idear on the asr effect right, Thanks Mike.

OP
cobe

cobe

Reaction score
abs probs?

Hi all, just a thanks to all who offered help with the problem,I'm afraid I cannot give a real definite answer to help others accept for the fact that having the codes read by an indie with a star system was the biggest help and saved loads of time and effort, the actual fault code showed firstly an Glowplug dead on one cylinder,Iwas not looking for that but good to know as the rest seem to follow,The abs/asr fault was "valve relay undervoltage" not atall what i was expecting and I could have spent loads of money and time if I had not had codes read "big lesson learn't there" as for what i did,took of batt terminals cleaned well,disconnected abs module multi wiring clip cleaned blew out reconnected, and the same with every multi plug I felt could be relevant,All lights now out my son says he's had no more problems since 4 days of work with it,Fingers crossed that's it,Thanks once again,Mike.:):) PS the reason I decided to clean every thing and try that first was the dealer we had bought from power washes the engine compartments (I do wish they would'nt do it)

Last edited:

Davetec

New Registration
Reaction score
Hey Guys, had a problem with my abs light going on after changing the ball joint. Your thread was the business and really helped in the process of elimination. Great job Coby for getting the discussion going.
It was two fold the problem.

1 the abs light didn't come on when you turned the ignition. this was fixed by just un screwing the dash(easy job and realising the bulb had just hopped out of where it sits in. it was still working fine. incidentally, I have a good motor factors and they said that the voltages are really delicate replacing bulbs here, if you don't get the right ones it turns into a fiasco!

2, the abs light came on full time. after changing the ball joint and tightening the hubs i thought it could have been a loose sensor. it all looked tight till i spoke to a friend who had the same problem with his audi and after a month of looking at the abs light decided to tap in the sensor. that's what i did and it worked! a chisel on the back and a little tap with a hammer. the vehicle needs to be moving at 5 mph to reset the code as i understand or it will hold onto the previous fault. anyway got the doe cert this morning for my van, happy out. thanks again for posting fellas, hope this helps someone out,
cheers, Dave

Top Bottom