Sprinter service exchange differential supplier

motovelo

Reaction score
Website
www.moto-velo.co.uk
The diff on my 412D Sprinter is now way too noisy and obviously needs replacing/repairing. Anybody know anywhere that supplies recon exchange units or a refurb service? Ideally North West based or anywhere if they can collect/deliver? I'm assuming it's just the diff that causes the whine but I'm open to suggestions? Van drives fine but the whining noise is constant increasing to a noisy drone the faster the van goes! Thanks in advance;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I did a web search for someone and found a firm in Milton Keynes, do a google search and see what comes up, do it both for diff and rear axle

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
The diff is not a diy or spanner job and has to be built into the axle casing using shims etc to set bearing preload and correct running characteristics. You could have the axle fixed but I suspect it would be far cheaper and easier and quicker to change for a good secondhand axle. Someone like Dronsfields just east of manchester should have a few in stock and it should have a bit of a guarantee. Just make sure you get the right gear ratio as there are a number of options.

OP
M

motovelo

Reaction score
Website
www.moto-velo.co.uk
Thanks for the info, I forgot all about Dronsfields and I used to live in Dobcross!! I've been quoted prices upwards of £800 to have my existing diff rebuilt and think that the secondhand route is the way to go, I was told I could remove the diff myself fairly painlessly by removing either half shaft (ie wheels axle casing all left intact) and disconnect the propshaft and then remove the diff?? Does the diff and housing all come away complete or is it as you've suggested a case of actually removing the cover and taking it out? If so then I appreciate that it would need setting up correctly which is most definately beyond my skill level! If I manage to get hold of a complete rear axle how straightforward is it to swap over? I'm guessing apart from maybe having to disconnect and re-bleed the brakes it should be straightforward? I would be mindful of how I'd raise and support the van though! As a side issue anybody know the correct fluid I should be using in this axle, as I have a couple of big trips coming up and prior to fixing it properly I thought I'd renew the fluid. I have been told that it's probably crown wheel wear and not pinnion bearing and will be fine to drive for many more miles provided you can stand the noise, is this true??

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
I am fairly sure the diff is an integral part of the axle casing, it certainly is on the single wheel axles. As far as swapping the axles, you could be really lucky and manage to seperate the callipers and brake lines then tie them out of harms way with string or cable ties. This would save the hassle of re-bleeding the system which can sometimes be the most problematic part of a job like this. Use the discs from your existing axle. I think the oil should be an ep80/90 gear oil.

Top Bottom