SPS issue with 2008 Sprinter

lukeoreilly

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter, 2008
Hi sprinter community.

The dashboard on my sprinter has been glitching up "SPS" a few weeks back. Over the weekend, other glitches have emerged on the dashboard including the backlight and "Brake" symbol. Moreover, when I turn on my fulls, the light bulb signal also pops up that there is a problem. However, the lights work fine, the break works fine, and the fact that these symbols don't last for a few seconds at a time, suggests to me that it is experiencing some kind of anomaly with the battery (?) To add to the frustration, the electric key is now playing up and the van won't lock.

Looked up a few things online about the SPS - and it lead me to the SPS cable underneath the middle passenger seat. When following this cable, I had to remove a black plate to get at the internal wiring and came across something odd.. two wires (the red one coming from the battery and the black one running underneath the floor with the rest of the wires), look as if they should be connected but aren't. They both have the same discolouration at the joint of the wire. See image attached.

So my question is a) should these be connected and b) is this the reason for the glitches appearing on the dashboard & key not opening the van.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated ;^)

Attachments

• Sprinter wires.jpg
    Sprinter wires.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom