Star Guard - should I or not....?

RichardSmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLC43 AMG; Nissan 300zx; Range Rover Evoque
My new SLC43 is due to arrive any day now - and I have been wondering whether or not, to have the Star Guard.

I normally enjoy detailing and waxing my cars - and to be honest, even with the Star Guard, I'd still be waxing the car. It's another layer of protection, and should help the Star Guard last longer, right....;)

I know this is where dealers can make a few extra ££s, but assuming I can get it done for a decent (read low) price, should I bother?

Richard:cool:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
In a word - no!! It mearly lines the salesman's pocket, the products themselves can be found on Ebay for 10% of what the salesman wants to charge you! If you're that bothered, take the car direct from the dealer to a professional detailer and get it sorted there - and possibly get change from what the dealer would have charged for Star Guard!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
No from me as well , they will want hundreds for it to be done . If you like cleaning and waxing yourself spend that money on some quality products and you will be able to buy a decades worth of stuff .

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Entirely agree.

The salesfolks are incentivised to "upsel" with guard products of this sort, Gap Insurance and extended servicing arrangements with every new car. All that can easil add £1,000 to the bottom line, although these are all "one off" costs.

As the others have said, easier done yourself. I put A Glaze on a 129 many years ago and never had to wax it again. Came up like new every time with a wash and chamois. And the kit only cost £30. :D

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
If you enjoy the detailing side then No.
Good luck with the new arrival.:)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Pointless if you like detailing

If you want to have it protected then have G-Technique put on

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I bought my C Class privately two years ago and there was a new Starguard pack in the boot. I decided to try it and it took most of the day to apply all four treatments. That was about 18 - 20 months ago. It's still as good as day one. The muck just falls off if it gets a quick rinse. I haven't washed it for months now because I've been really busy and the back end it absolutely caked black. However, when I do eventually give it a wash, i know it will go back to being as shiny as it was on day one without any need to add polish.

Buy the pack and do it yourself. It's good exercise...... Wax on..... Wax off!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as already said really. unless theyre going to throw it in for free/£50 id not bother. you can buy supaguard (same stuff, different name on the box I believe) or other similar treatments on ebay etc for a tenth the price the dealers will charge to do it for you! (last I heard it was a £300-£400 add on!)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yip, agreed with the others , I'd say no and either detail yourself or take to someone you can trust...

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
I had mine done by a friend in the trade and he was happy for a back hander of £40 and still looks like new, worth doing at the right price.

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
Don't bother, half the time they don't apply it properly. You can buy the stuff yourself http://www.supagard.co.uk - it's basically rebranded

There are alternate or better things available- a proper detailer it worth a shout if you want that done

P

peterdh

When I bought my E earlier in the year one of the sales people tried very hard to get me to take the Starguard with a 50% discount. I am a bit tight and even with a 50% discount I wasn't attracted but what it did demonstrate to me was that these 'add-ons' are nothing more than money earners for the sales staff and they do have monthly targets to achieve.

So I always just keep saying No Thank You when such 'offers or products' are discussed.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom