Starguard and subsequent waxing

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CLK 220 CDi Avantgarde ...gone - 2009 E320 CDi Sport - gone. Current 2010 E350 w212 CDi sport.
When I bought my CLK from a main dealer earlier this year I succumbed to having 'Starguard' treatment (the car - not me!). As you will probably know, this is a paint and upholstery protector and costs a relative fortune.
Does anyone have a view on how long it lasts and whether it has to completely wear off before applying subsequent wax?
Any recommendations regarding a fairly easy to use wax would also be much appreciated - thanks.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
Did you recieve a box containing various cleaning materials? All MB products but would any similar stuff suffice. Not sure how often to apply, I suppose when it looks like it needs it.

I would be interested to know if anyone has claimed on this protection it is an insurance policy after all. Anyone?

this might help:
http://car-paint-protection.co.uk/supagard/stargard-mercedes/

Last edited:
OP
C

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CLK 220 CDi Avantgarde ...gone - 2009 E320 CDi Sport - gone. Current 2010 E350 w212 CDi sport.
Did you recieve a box containing various cleaning materials? All MB products but would any similar stuff suffice. Not sure how often to apply, I suppose when it looks like it needs it.

I would be interested to know if anyone has claimed on this protection it is an insurance policy after all. Anyone?

this might help:
http://car-paint-protection.co.uk/supagard/stargard-mercedes/

Yes - the 'pack' contains shampoo, wheel cleaner and protector, bird poo remover, 'paint shield' (T Cut?), tyre shine along with a few other bits, but there is nothing that could be considered a wax.

I just wonder if I would run into problems trying to apply some other wax on top of the Stargard stuff if it hasn't worn off.

I didn't know that it was an insurance policy - I didn't get any paperwork relating to it.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212
The policy document is called StarProtect and is valid for 5 years from date of application. Not sure if this is the exact same as StarGuard you refer to but certainly sounds the same.

If the car loses its lustre then the protective coat will be re-applied. It also warns that using the wrong cleaning materials may invalidate the policy so you are best to use the products that are recommended; though no mention of what they are!!!.

Perhaps the dealer has not given you the policy document. Sorry if this has introduced confusion.

Has anyone got this StarProtect policy?

fozzymandeus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL350
Not familiar with the particular product, however the "Paint Shield" will likely be a wax-a-like.

T-Cut is a polish, which will gently cut the paint and remove swirl marks (or put them in if you're not careful).

If Starguard is like "Supaguard" then you've had your car hand polished and waxed, essentially. Nice, and it should last a while.

I re-polish and wax my cars when the mood takes me. Probably way too often, but I use Meguiars gold class, which is a pretty gentle polish. T-Cut is half way between a polish and a rubbing compound and I don't think frequent use is a good idea.

I use G3 rubbing compound to remove anything that's deep enough to need it. But I don't like using it as you can easily mark the lacquer with it, so it's best used occasionally.

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 GLA 200d Sport Premium Plus
Half the fun of owning a Merc is detailing it. ;)
But then I am a bit of a nerd when comes to making my pride and joy gleam :cool:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
With MB's new nano paint..from 04 onwards. there should be no need to protect the 'super hard scratch resistant longer lasting lustre ' finish....

zeeshh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d / 2017/W213, E220 CDI/2013/W212, E250 CDI/2011/W212, E250 CDI/2010/W212, C180/2002/W203
With MB's new nano paint..from 04 onwards. there should be no need to protect the 'super hard scratch resistant longer lasting lustre ' finish....
what is MB nano paint? I just got delivery of my new E220 and dealership sold me the star guard protection. you mean it was not needed ?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What is it with the resurrected posts from 2011 and such like at the moment?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom