Steering "funny" on W210

A

Ashley H

Hi all

I'm hoping for some thoughts on an intermittent problem with the steering on my W210 E320 CDi ('02 plate). It's at 111,000 miles.

When I turn the wheel, the resistance tends to build until, at about 90 degrees of turn (steering wheel, obviously :)) the resistance "breaks" with a click and then starts to build again. The "intermittent" aspect seems to be diminishing...

It's been to my independent twice. The first time he couldn't replicate the problem, the second he said I needed a new steering cloumn :( He says it's the first time he will have had to do this job on a car lilke mine.

It's going to be around £1k fitted and I'll do that if it's needed, but wondered if anybody else had any comparable experiences / thoughts before I go ahead...

Any contributions (especially financial... :p), would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

bushy30

Reaction score
Hi Ashley,

This may not be too much help, but here goes..

In a previous incarnation and driving a Renault 25 I had much the same problem, thought the world was going to end, new steering rack or power steering pump, hundreds of pounds of bill etc etc.

Took it to my very nice mechanic chap, who sadi "drive it up the road yank hard on the steering wheel until you hear a sound like crunching boiled sweets, then the steering will be a bit floppy, but you'll have power steering back. Come back and see me saturday morning and we'll fix it, its only bearings"

BEARINGS ! that sounded expensive too, anyway did as instructed, all exactly as he said, turned up on the saturday and he made me do the work ! changed the top and bottom needle roller bearing, put it all back together all was fine...........

Asked how much the bearings were and he said £15 the pair, Hurrah !!!

Just wonder if yours is bearings and can they be changed?

Cheers

Bushy

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Does this behaviour still appear if the front of the vehicle is jacked up so the front wheels are not touching the floor or if the tyres are resting on a low friction surface?

OP
A

Ashley H

Thanks

Thanks to both of your for your thoughts. I'll try the boiled sweets approach - possibly talking to the mechanic first :)

The low-friction test hasn't, as far as I know, been tried yet but would be easy to do. Sorry to be ignorant - I'm not mechanically minded, I'm afraid - but what would the test reveal? It might help support the request if I can explain why I'm suggesting it!

Thanks again,

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
When I turn the wheel, the resistance tends to build until, at about 90 degrees of turn (steering wheel, obviously :)) the resistance "breaks" with a click and then starts to build again. The "intermittent" aspect seems to be diminishing...

Could it be the airbag squib/contact spring that is causing the click? Maybe this part is at fault and causing your problems.

Are the clicks at equal angles of wheel turn, i.e. every 90 degrees and is it in both directions?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to advise accordingly.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Disconnect the column from the rack then you will be able to see if its either the rack or column.

astradave81

Reaction score
it could be the universal joint on the steering column. Sometimes they sieze in one direction, it would need disconnecting from the rack and check its free in both directions. Not a big job to check. We have had 2 mercedes do this with the same symptoms as yours only one was a sprinter and one was a vito.

jpbp200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI BlueEFF SE Premium Estate/Auto/2015/Diesel
Are the clicks at equal angles of wheel turn, i.e. every 90 degrees and is it in both directions?

this is crucial to the answer to your problem

OP
A

Ashley H

Hi all

Many thanks for the responses. With regard to the clicks:

- They seem to be more prevalent when turning the wheel to the right than the left
- Having just sat in the car and turned the wheel right round a couple of times, I would say that the are NOT at exactly 90 degree points. I could turn all the way round and nothing happened one time, then there might be two or three the next...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom