Steering geometry

telletubby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W140 S320 blue
A local retired friend of mine has a 2002 E class. He bought 4 new Michelin tyres in January. In october after 4500 miles he bought two more for the rear. When he queried the wear, the garage said it was because his steering geometry was wrong. To the naked eye the wear appears even across the tyre but apparently there are minor differences. Michelin say he should fix his geometry and are not liable. The front tyres are fine. My friend wonders why if the geometry was wrong it wasn't picked up during service. Any thoughts?

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
A local retired friend of mine has a 2002 E class. He bought 4 new Michelin tyres in January. In october after 4500 miles he bought two more for the rear. When he queried the wear, the garage said it was because his steering geometry was wrong. To the naked eye the wear appears even across the tyre but apparently there are minor differences. Michelin say he should fix his geometry and are not liable. The front tyres are fine. My friend wonders why if the geometry was wrong it wasn't picked up during service. Any thoughts?

Hello telletubby

From your description I conclude that the rear tyres had a life of just 4,500 miles (in 10 months) yet the front tyres were still fine and wearing well. If the steering geometry was off track or there were worn components that altered the steering geometry to any significant amount, I would expect the front tyres to be wearing unevenly too. But your description places the fault on the rear axle, not the front??? Your rear tyres should be wearing flat (which you confirm); the front types may be wearing more on the outside but it all depends upon the setup of your camber angle, which I assume is a degree, or two, positive.

Are you sure you have described your problem correctly?

REGARDS

Phil

OP
T

telletubby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W140 S320 blue
Hi Phil
Thanks for your reply. yes, it is the rear. To the naked eye the rear tyres seem fairly evenly worn but Michelin took a micrometer to them (trying of course nto to accept any blame which they don't) and said that they varied between 3.5 and 2.5 on one tyre and between 2.5 and 1.5 on the other. Sounds strange to me particularly as the front tyres are fine.

brian c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w123/1985/230te
Phil
It sounds like the tracking is out on the rear maybe as a result of bush wear. Has the condition of the rear link been checked?
Regards

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom