Steering Lock

Comvec

Reaction score
Help having trouble with a 1996 E230 four door saloon,parked the vehicle and everything was ok, when I came back to it the doors opened normally with the remote I sat in put the key in the ignition but could not turn it no matter what I done,turning the wheel from L to R for the best part of 10 minutes,even jacked up the front so there could be no stress on the steering lock but to no avail,it seems like the switch has jammed,tried the spare key and the same thing,tried WD40 no good,what could be wrong and how would one go about changing the barell,or how can I get to see the switch/lock as it looks like the facia would have to come off,I do not have a book and would appreciate any advise.
Thanks in advance
Jim

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Jim, you are going to need a new lock, is your key the metal blade or a plastic key

OP
C

Comvec

Reaction score
Thanks tv for the fast reply,the key is metal,it folds out from the remote control unit,probably will need a new barell or switch,can a new barell be got and how would one go about changing it,it is not like the old car I had with the key on the left of the wheel and two pins were used to get the barell out,this one is on the right of the wheel (its right hand drive) but no slots are visible like the other one had and I can't turn the key even if they were there,does the facia panel have to come off,I will try and get a book tomorrow or if someone has one could they please scan the page on the lock removal and post it.
Thanks again
Jim

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The new lock cost £60 and quite easy to do, you have to order it from MB and you need the VIN number to do it.

I can send you the sheet on how to change it when you get the lock, its important than you can get the lock to key 1 when doing it

OP
C

Comvec

Reaction score
I would much appreciate if you could send me the sheet because I will have to wait for the lock,the problem is where the car is its not very save and if I can get the old barell out I could get the lock off and get the car home even if I have to tow it,my email is comvec at aol dot com.
Thanks very much
Jim

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you can't turn the key at all, then you have a difficult and expensive job on your hands.

Here is a link to a forum where someone had a similar problem, but managed to make it move to position 1 http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=37927&highlight=ignition+lock

Best of luck,

Richard

Thanks Richard this is the bit that I mentioned earlier, without getting it into key 1 the steering column could be scrap, and this needs to be done first

OP
C

Comvec

Reaction score
Lock

Yes all the locks I ever came across has to be switched on to remove the barell,what I am wondering about is how to get the cover off that is concealing the slots that is lined up to put the rods in,at the moment nothing can be seen except the key slot and a black cover,is it just prised to access the slots.
Thanks Guys.
Jim

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If there is a plastic ring that is the DAS bit, just prise it out and disconnect it

OP
C

Comvec

Reaction score
Lock Again

Thanks tv I will have to get that ring out of the way before I get it turned as it is blocking access to the removal tool slots.
Thanks again
Jim

OP
C

Comvec

Reaction score
Sussed

Got the barrel out after the third attempt turning the key,got the car home and then went to Mercs with my documents and ordered a new barrel which the storeman said will have to come from Germany
Thanks everyone for your help
Jim :D:D

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom