Stop....No,...No,...thwack!

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
After my joy last week of both cars passing the MOT, imagine my horror this AM as I happened to be at an upstairs window as daughter was reversing out the driveway, looking right as the front of her car swung left......
Thwack.

Caught the CL a glancing blow on the rear right bumper. Scraped about 6x4 patch of paint...

:cry:

I just needed to get this out, as she couldn't hear me going "Stop, No, No, No, Balcocks" or somesuch, a la, the opening of four weddings & a funeral.

She tried to cheer me up by saying "is only a small bit"........ Kids........

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Nothing so annoying as watching the inevitable and being unable to do anything about it...

Price up the respray and present her with the bill and point out it would be a lot more if she hit someone else's car as she'd be paying through her insurance for years to come.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Ouch, that hurts :(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Never mind... it's all part of being a Dad!

- If it was her car and she was upset because she'd pranged it, you'd be out there with the touch in paint or more likely your wallet to help (been there, done that...) :)

- We all do this in the fragile belief that later on they will keep us in the manner we would like to be accustomed to....
Look up "Oink" :):):)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I came back wondering if there was a photo yet.
Not nearly enough ribbing in this thread either.

At least she will be able to get you a nice prezzy for your next birthday. A little bottle of T'cut since it's "only a small bit" that needs doing.
Every cloud eh?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Tell her you want to go through the insurance....you know just for shits and giggles

No chance there... she's been brung up on Dad's ideas and opinions and knows which way that'll go.
- In any case lift her thumb and there's Flying Spanner (who wouldn't have it any other way!)

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Nothing so annoying as watching the inevitable and being unable to do anything about it...

Price up the respray and present her with the bill and point out it would be a lot more if she hit someone else's car as she'd be paying through her insurance for years to come.

Why are people so selfish? It's his daughter. I am sure he can probably afford to pay for it anyway. Put it down as an error and a learning curve.
Even if my dad did that to my car for example, I would take it on the chin and sort it out myself.
UK needs to learn family values from other parts of Europe me thinks. Can't just go this is mine, that is yours, end of. Learn to share and help eachother.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Why are people so selfish? It's his daughter. I am sure he can probably afford to pay for it anyway. Put it down as an error and a learning curve.
Even if my dad did that to my car for example, I would take it on the chin and sort it out myself.
UK needs to learn family values from other parts of Europe me thinks. Can't just go this is mine, that is yours, end of. Learn to share and help eachother.
Its not about being selfish. Its about teaching a lesson in a way that will not be glossed over with a shrug.
I agree the UK could do with learning family values from the rest of Europe in many areas but this is not one.
The thinking of take it on the chin with no thought of making the lesson felt could account for the huge number of dented cars seen in European cities (in Paris its hard to find a car thats not dented and we have had 2 small dents added to our 210 inside a year of travelling to France!).
Spacial awareness was clearly lacking in this case and the only way to reinforce its importance is to present her with a bill.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
This has turned out to be a big song and dance, we all make mistakes and I am sure many of us have done similar things especially when we were young. I am sure she has learnt something valuable for the future :rolleyes:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Well I didn't think anyone was serious about taking it further to "teach her a lesson".
As long as it's not someone elses car that she prangs and drives off I can't see the problem with "Dad" taking it on the chin.
If she has the same attitude to other cars whilst driving/parking away from home then she would need to be taught right from wrong but it's her dads car so, it's his problem not anyone elses business.

He just posted to get it off his chest.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We all have different ways of teaching our children. No one way is right or wrong.

My way would be to present them with the invoice. Whether I then asked them to pay it or not would remain open depending on their reaction to teh invoice. If they demonstrated remorse lesson learnt. If not then financial 'incentives' to learn might help...

Streetfighter1100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Convertible

That's a good idea. Present her the bill and perhaps you can lend her the money to pay you.

Top Bottom