Strange Gearbox Issue/Limp mode

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
Hi Everyone, just looking for a bit of advice on an issue that came up today, before I take it to a garage to get looked at.

90 miles into a 100 mile journey, I was on the motorway in manual mode (e350cdi 2012), when the car changed up into 7th on it's own at about 50mph, and wouldn't change back down to 6th. It wouldn't change down in any of the other gearbox modes, even with kickdown.

It only went down to 6th when my speed dropped to about 45mph and 900-1000rpm, and then when I came off the motorway it would only change down through the gears when the rpms dropped to ~1000rpm in each gear.

When I came to accelerate again, there was no power and the car would change up at the earliest opportunity, so it wouldn't rev above ~1400rpm. It would do 70+mph, but would take a while to get there. No CEL showed, no messages or other lights.

When I got home, before turning it off, I found that the engine would rev to 3000rpm and sounded fine in neutral, turbo spooled up etc.

I turned the car off, left it for 10mins, got back in it and went round the block and it was fine. Power was there, it would hold gears in manual, change down when I asked it to etc.

With a big journey to south france coming up in under 4 weeks, I'm a bit worried by this.

Anybody else experienced anything similar? Sounds like gearbox limp mode to me, engine limp mode would allow higher revs than 1400 i would think, plus show a CEL.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Time to get a MB Star session booked.

Check fluid level @ 80'c

OP
G

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
Time to get a MB Star session booked.

Check fluid level @ 80'c

I think you're right. I had the ATF changed a couple of months ago, and I had to take it back to the garage that did it because there was a massive jerk under kickdown, and the torque converter would slip when using full throttle 1st to 2nd.

Turns out they hadn't put enough fluid in. I hope it's because there is still not quite enough fluid in (though more than the first time), and not the result of damage done from driving it after they first did it. o_O

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom