Sun Roof Stuck - I think

iamamanc

Reaction score
Hi
is there a way to manualy open the sunroof on a 91 W124 300D. I am not sure if the switch is kaput or not. I couldn't hear any indication that the motor was trying to work so I checked the fuse, I changed it as it was a bit manky. I pulled the switch and tried jumping/shorting the poles with a bit of wire but nothing happened, I probably did it wrong so I don't hold much faith in that test. If I stick a 12V tester in the holes it should light up - right??!!
anyway - any thoughts anyone

Thanks
Adrian

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is a emergency crank drive on the motor, and the key should be in the tool kit

OP
iamamanc

iamamanc

Reaction score
Thanks for that fellas, first thing in the morning
Cheers

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
The Emergency Crank

The emergency crank is a red plastic knob that can be turned by hand so they say... If you don't have a key they occasionally sell them on ebay.

But, I don't belive that it is stuck. It sounds as if it is in the electronics. The motor has a safety on it that only allows it to operate for two seconds if the motor is stuck to prevent you from burning the thing up. So you would here some sort of sound emanating from the trunk.

I know I can hear mine working when in operation. Take a 12 volt probe as you said and have someone work the switch to see if your getting current to the motor.

timkgrimes

New Registration
Reaction score
Sun Roof Stuck - I know

Greetings,

I have a 1978 MB 350 SEL with a stuck sun roof. The motor is audible, but there is no movement. Unfortunately for me, the sun roof is wide open, and rain is expected in the near future. :( Meanwhile, I accessed the mechanical tool in the trunk, and attempted to turn the roof closed manually, however to no avail. To my surprise, there was no movement, as the mechanical linkage (somewhere?) appears to be broken. What are my options? I took a cursory look at the overhead panel, and everything seems to be metal plated; no easy access. I attempted to physically "assist" the motor by pulling while the motor is turning with no joy. I'm about a day short of applying plastic and duct tape to the roof until I find a solution. Any expertise or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tim Grimes
Knoxville, TN
1978 4-door Mercedes-Benz 350 SEL (with Ford 302 c.i. V8 retrofit)
1977 Honda 550K
1982 Honda FT500
1972 22' Barth motor home
timgrimes@inbox.com

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
On mine the cable came off the bit that drags the roof open, the motor was ok and it took all day and the next to reconect the cable, remove all the roof lining (major dismantle of interior), lower the sun roof assy, sort out the cable fitting (really ****** awkward) then put it all back together.
There are two M5 bolts holding the cable on the bail which moves the roof panel, both had loosened and droped out, you can see the place they go but boy is it hard to get at them with tools and hands.
The little red knob is not the manual over ride, thats a hexagon stud that you put a box spanner on to move the roof. If this wont close it there is some disconection between the roof and motor, a gear wheel/winding drum in the motor is known to fail.
The red knob is associated with the position sensing switch and is pulled out a little way, adjusted (and pushed back) to make the motor shut off when the roof gets into the closed position.
There is nothing to clever about the electrics, the motor is powered from the roof switch via the motor mounted switch, its polarity being swapped over (at the roof switch) to move the other way. The motor switch cuts the power in the closed positions only, holding the control to open either tilt or slide whilst the roof is open will cook the motor.
Inside the motor there is a thermal switch which protects the motor from overheating, Ive not found a dead one (open circuit) in a roof motor but have seen them in the similarly built window motors, these were bodged/bypassed by soldering a link across them (it was my car).
It is unlikely that a single wire link will do anything since the roof switch operates on both wires of the motor, a wiring diagram will help you as to which two pairs of pins to link.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom