supercharger

beastymerc

Reaction score
hey folks

i own a merc sec500 and i have heard u can fit a super charger on it if so can any1 point me in the right direction or the other alternative is nitrous

thnx

FELLOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208/1999/320
SUPERCHARGERS ARE ROAD LEGAL - NITR' IS LEGAL TO BE FITTED BUT ONLY USED ON THE TRACK...IF THEY CATCH YOU USING YOUR TANKS ON THE ROAD THEY WILL TAKE AWAY YOUR LICENCE AND IF YOU CRASH IT THEN IT CAN BECOME A CRIMINAL OFFENCE
BUT YOUR OPTIONS ARE EASY BORE OUT WITH BRABUS OR SUPER CHARGE WITH KLEEMAN...PERSONALLY I WOULD GO WITH KLEEMAN AS THEY WILL GIVE YOU MORE POWER BUT EXPECT TO PAY 7k OR PAY A GOOD MECH TO FIT AN EATON SUPERCHARGER AND MAP IT ON A GOOD ROLLING ROAD WITH NEW CHIP - SEE WWW.MERCEDESPERFORMANCE
GOOD LUCK

OP
B

beastymerc

Reaction score
thanx

thamx guys ya a gr8 help contacting them as soon as i can

thanx again

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Nitrous'd 500SEC

If you want more go from your 500SEC then you might be better off looking for aftermarket cams. This is normally the first step in "livening up" an engine and will make it a lot sharper

Beyond a certain point of tuning you'll need to change the exhaust manifolds, possibly the exhaust, the radiator, injection setup, ignition setup and quite a few other things to make it bulletproof. This is because tuned engines require more fuelling (the existing system will be limited in how much fuel it can deliver), different engine timing (the existing system may not be able to adapt) and more cooling (as more power is being produced)

Maybe Nitrous is the answer? It's legal, relatively cheap (cheaper than a supercharger or any other engine tuning) and you use it when you want to

There's no law against Nitrous any more than there is a law against turbochargers, superchargers or running on 105 octane fuel. What all of these do is to get more fuel to burn and produce more power and that ain't illegal - yet!

Of course if you fit any of these and don't tell your insurance company about it then you're probably uninsured and that is illegal...

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

PS I want a spin in it when it's done!

OP
B

beastymerc

Reaction score
ive dun every thing uve suggested t engine and uprated gear box and runnin gear have problem wit upratin rear diff and runnin 21.9 ratio cant find anybody to provide a lower ratio to fit car frustratin! only place so far t get super charger is holland long way t go dont want t chance purchace over internet and find it not compatible. must b sumwhere in uk still lookin in kent walderslade if ya wanna spin wot car u got?!

beasty merc

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
beastymerc said:
alternative is nitrous

I don't know why so many people mention Nitrous, when they are considering performance increases to their cars. Yes, it promises big power gains but the way it works, means its only suitable for one scenario - wide open throttle (full throttle). And it tends to ruin engines.

The problem is, it changes the combustion chemistry and allows you to introduce more fuel. But, if you get the amount of extra fuel wrong, you lean out or run too rich (leads to liquid fuel in the cylinder). Either of these scenarios would occur at full throttle so its difficult to test and normally leads to a head being blown off. In motorsport, its only some classes of drag racers use it, and often its more trouble than its worth - many of the runs done in qualifying are without nitrous.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Wot U got?

My daily driver is an E300 Diesel estate but I've got a Triumph TR4 and a BMW 2002 race car tucked away for weekend fun...

DSC_0794.2.jpg

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

talbir

Reaction score
Nitrous is NOT illegal,

It is a method of forced induction - just like turbo and super charging.

Nitrous contains 40% more oxygen than ambient air and has a low temp - making it good for the engine.

Every method of forced induction needs safeguards - turbo and super chargers require manifold sensors and pop-off valves to cut fuel supply at high boost pressures too. And plenty of them have failed.....

Combustion chemistry also needs to be changed with turbo and super charging....you cannot throw more air in without doing the same with fuel.

Nitrous is the way to get maximum power gain - it's costly, as opposed to turbocharging which makes use of exhaust gases, but the disadgvantage can be turbo lag.

Last edited:

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Haven't heard from you in a while talbir. Nice to have you back mate ;)

Stu

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom