T-Cut vs cutting pastes/ polishes

SATURDAY KIDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Coupe AMG Line
Hello all, what is the consensus on the old fashioned Tcut before I apply my polish/ wax.
I have seen the Meguiars products but not used any.
Does anyone still use Tcut etc and if not what am I best advised to use for my newly acquired ML that has not had a good going over for a while.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I still use their Colour Magic sometimes, but also got some Farecla colour restorer which performed a minor miracle on the other half's XC60 last weekend! (Aftermath of a seagull tattoo that I'd honestly thought had bubbled the lacquer).

Would definitely recommend the latter - especially when Halfrauds have a 3 for 2 offer on!

PS. Both of our cars are black.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
G3 is g-Techniq. Its a brand of cleaning and resurfacing products. Its good stuff.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Cutting paste comes in many grades, T cut is excellent for removing traffic film, some frown upon it, but watered down its very mild, what ever you use it is only down to the grade.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
"T" Cut is pretty old hat nowadays as Farecla range of cutting compounds G3 G6 G10 etc are easier and have a better end results.

When using Farecla compounds its always wise to read which ones are more suited to machine use or hand use, most can be used with either like G3 but when used by hand it is harder work.

Farecla G10 is a finer finishing compound for swirl marks etc and is easy to use by hand.

Another tip I was told in the old days was if using "T" Cut then after applying it put some polish ie Turtle Wax on top of it and when polished off it takes the "T" Cut residue with it leaving an excellent finish.;)

Alfie

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
T cut is old and way to abrasive for results, personally prefer megs ultimate compound

OP
SATURDAY KIDS

SATURDAY KIDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Coupe AMG Line
Thanks for all the reply's as always.
My cars pretty clean and my main reason for using Tcut is just to get the road grime/ tar/ blemishes off before polishing and waxing.
I was a little concerned that the old fashioned Tcut may be too abrasive.
I do may a couple of G Technic products but not the G3 etc.
I'll look into buying the G3 or maybe the Megs product.
Probably use up the Tcut on the missus Mini Cooper... i don't like waste !

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
My cars pretty clean and my main reason for using Tcut is just to get the road grime/ tar/ blemishes off before polishing and waxing.

If you haven't used it before, clay the car beforehand either with a Meguiars Clay Mitt or a clay bar. The muck it brings out of the paint is amazing. Worth doing at least twice a year before waxing and polishing.

Probably use up the Tcut on the missus Mini Cooper... i don't like waste !
Excellent. Man after my own heart;)

OP
SATURDAY KIDS

SATURDAY KIDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Coupe AMG Line
If you haven't used it before, clay the car beforehand either with a Meguiars Clay Mitt or a clay bar. The muck it brings out of the paint is amazing. Worth doing at least twice a year before waxing and polishing.

Excellent. Man after my own heart;)

Thanks again.
I was reading up on the clay treatment of which I have not used before, sounds interesting, I might drop by Motobitz in Poole and get some although I thought it was quite expensive.
It is a relatively easy process to do as well as not overly time consuming.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thanks again.
I was reading up on the clay treatment of which I have not used before, sounds interesting, I might drop by Motobitz in Poole and get some although I thought it was quite expensive.
It is a relatively easy process to do as well as not overly time consuming.

A clay mitt is £12. 99 from Halfrauds. A good method if you haven't done it before. 3 for 2 on cleaning products;)

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
Clay is definitely worth doing,mother mitts are fantastic and you can use it with shampoo solution. I would look at the remover to get rid of tar instead of t cut, must easier

OP
SATURDAY KIDS

SATURDAY KIDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Coupe AMG Line
So.... I've used Meguiars clay this morning then used Poorboys Black Hole show glaze and then Finished with Nattys Paste Wax for black cars.
Got to say my bonnet is gleaming and super smooth however have I done this in the correct order and ongoing should I now just wash with a decent wax wash solution.
Sorry to sound naive, but I do love this cleaning stuff...almost looking forward to driving to work tomorrow.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The usual order I use is wash with shampoo using 2 bucket method.
Rinse or carefully jet wash
Clay the whole car
Wash again with shampoo
Rinse
Dry with microfibre towels.
Polish
Wax
Seal.

After that, I wash weekly, rinse dry and apply another coat of sealant and have a deep clean once every 3 months.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
I still use their Colour Magic sometimes, but also got some Farecla colour restorer which performed a minor miracle on the other half's XC60 last weekend! (Aftermath of a seagull tattoo that I'd honestly thought had bubbled the lacquer).

Would definitely recommend the latter - especially when Halfrauds have a 3 for 2 offer on!

PS. Both of our cars are black.

That seagull poo would of scarred the paintwork as Volvo paints and lacquers are not really up to it when it comes down to basic natures of seagulls.

Having lived by the coast and owned previous Volvo`s for 30yrs ...they have suffered exactly the same problem.

This Merc. which is my first is completely different and i still live on the coast with no seagull effect!

Not getting into a row as i do need educating sometimes especially about paintwork.
But i do agree that T cut is now old hat or rather old school as i am but what i do not understand is the fact that owners will spend hours rubbing their motor and spend pounds on detailing equipment and products when simply one day later the car is filthy....you only have to look at a black one and it get`s dirty!

In my mind one is not getting the dirt out of the paint or even polishing the paint the work is being done on the finish top coat which is clear lacquer.....isn`t this what manufacturers intended a simple wash and it is clean?

I used to do spraying and for the life of me i just don`t understand it.....i do believe most are a load of sheep and will do what others do to sort of keep up with the Joneses.......the people who make these products are laughing all the way to the bank.:p

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I'm normally pretty swift at hosing the cack of at the very least, but think this had been on her car for about a day.

I honestly thought it was permanent, as you say, as Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Black Colour Magic both failed to make much of a dent in the mark.

Farecla did however manage to get rid of it, and this was a couple of weeks later.

Ref the validity of using such products, I think Carl sums it up well when he says that anything put on top of the lacquer becomes the sacrificial layer, rather than the lacquer itself!

It's certainly noticeable on my car (with more frequent washing and a couple of layers of decent polish & waxes) that cack washes off far more readily than it does of my other half's.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
I'm normally pretty swift at hosing the cack of at the very least, but think this had been on her car for about a day.

I honestly thought it was permanent, as you say, as Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Black Colour Magic both failed to make much of a dent in the mark.

Farecla did however manage to get rid of it, and this was a couple of weeks later.

Ref the validity of using such products, I think Carl sums it up well when he says that anything put on top of the lacquer becomes the sacrificial layer, rather than the lacquer itself!

It's certainly noticeable on my car (with more frequent washing and a couple of layers of decent polish & waxes) that cack washes off far more readily than it does of my other half's.

Sounds as though you were lucky not to get scarred!!......that does also sound like a good move that the layer on top of the lacquer is the sacrificial one but to what extent does it protect?...and to what extent does it attack the wallet instead...lol.

I am all for learning but don`t get it at all.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The usual order I use is wash with shampoo using 2 bucket method.
Rinse or carefully jet wash
Clay the whole car
Wash again with shampoo
Rinse
Dry with microfibre towels.
Polish
Wax
Seal.

This is what I do except I wash thoroughly before claying to remove as much dirt as possible

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Sounds as though you were lucky not to get scarred!!......that does also sound like a good move that the layer on top of the lacquer is the sacrificial one but to what extent does it protect?...and to what extent does it attack the wallet instead...lol.

I am all for learning but don`t get it at all.

Now... That is the question I guess! I used to wash my car most weekends, albeit with more regular brands.

I wash it less now, but with more care, and with better products. (I'm not one typically to jump on bandwagons - read lots, listen to people who've tried stuff, etc, etc)... And then give a product a go if I think it's reasonable.

If I don't like it, I don't buy it again! :lol:

I'm actually a fan of Demonshine for day to day things, and it seems to give good results.

All I can say, is that the car looks nice when it's done, stays that way a little longer, and is easier to get clean again when it's cacksville! :grin:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom