Talk to me about the GLC

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Hi
Thinking of getting a new family car sometime soon as the ever increasing ULEZ means our current family car will incur a charge.
So had a quick look at what’s around and saw the GLC.
Probably looking at a 2016/17 model.
What’s the general consensus and experience of these?
Cheers

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It's an SUV like almost everything on the road these days...:(

Take one for a test drive and see what you think - make sure you try it on full left and full right lock and see if the crabbing is an issue for you.

Euro-6 Diseasal won't give you ULEZ charges - it will most likely give you AdBlue / DPF / NOX sensor issues instead - unless you can find a rare petrol one. If you're not covering >15K miles Diesel isn't really worth it these days unfortunately...:(

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks. We only do about 10k miles annually in the family car, but most of the ones that we’ve seen have been diesel.
Been a while since bought a new car so not sure of what the Adblue issues are?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks. We only do about 10k miles annually in the family car, but most of the ones that we’ve seen have been diesel.
Been a while since bought a new car so not sure of what the Adblue issues are?
Many threads on here about it - usually get a yellow engine warning light and 500 mile count down until car won't start - new pump and tank is a common "fix" at ££££ cost - AdBlue crystallises and blocks the injectors - some on here have cleaned it out successfully and added an anti-crystalisation addative.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Avoid the diesel given ur miles. You WILL get plenty of emissions related, expensive dramas. Adblue egr. All crap on lo miles motors

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
I’ve had a GLC for 3 years now coming from C classes and love it ! Best Merc I’ve owned tbh it’s great as a FC and holds it own on driving on all roads and condition, take one for a test drive it wont disappoint

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag F-Pace, BMW Z4
Mrs Q had the 350D Coupe for a couple of years, fantastic once Mercedes sorted the front steering creaking out, which they did swiftly, I expect that all cars will have had that done by now. Everything worked as it should, still don't think the media interface is as good as BMW but apart from that cracking car, and when in 'Sport Plus' it absolutely flew, trouble is she didn't let me drive it much. Sold it after 2 years and got what we paid for it, though that was a result of COVID and chip shortages.
My daughter took a smaller engined Standad GLC for test drive, and loved it, but was put off by the high milage, we tried the sport button in that too..

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ours asked for AD blu and swallowed it then went fine, same as other diesels we have had or do have.

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Mrs Q had the 350D Coupe for a couple of years, fantastic once Mercedes sorted the front steering creaking out, which they did swiftly, I expect that all cars will have had that done by now. Everything worked as it should, still don't think the media interface is as good as BMW but apart from that cracking car, and when in 'Sport Plus' it absolutely flew, trouble is she didn't let me drive it much. Sold it after 2 years and got what we paid for it, though that was a result of COVID and chip shortages.
My daughter took a smaller engined Standad GLC for test drive, and loved it, but was put off by the high milage, we tried the sport button in that too..
Mines the 350d as well and you’re right about the sport plus mode it still surprises me how quick it is !

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks all. We’re a bit stuck as most of the SUV styles are diesel, particularly the ones we like the look of.
Last time we bought, Adblue wasn’t much of a thing, EGR was but we have never had any issues with that.
We do some local miles but also quite frequent trips on the motorways.

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
i bought a new 220 glc last year and love it good performance and economy i had a 2015 glc it had the problem everyone else had with the crabbing problem that was sorted after a while by mercedes it had a few electrical issues at 4yr old but mercedes repaired all that free even though it was out of warranty so how many other makes would do that really happy with the new model just a small issue with battery light coming on and it was a faulty battery which was replaced

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I am on my 3rd and this is dec 16 model as no difference between them and ones up to 19/20 models
I have had 220 and 250s would not buy 220 again , 250 same mpg which driving wise is over 40 mpg , I had a 2020 high miler but honestly better with older one pref 1 owner , full history, low mls. The first 220 high miler I had I got nox sensors mapped out , but the 2 250s low milers never had any trouble , bar new battery not that car would not start but just for s/s etc they need good battery. I sold a 2021 Ford kuga vignale 20000 mls to buy another glc so I think that’s speaks for itself. Others name crabbing and that is almost impossible to get away from but only on full lock and seems to be acceptable it’s not in this one I have now but was in my last 2 and I panicked a bit but I was stupid , how often are you pulling on hard lock to the left and I mean hard lock. Check side of drivers seat they do wear there quite quickly , but they are a great driving suv and feels very sturdy and safe place to sit. I have had 3 new tiguans , a new rav 4 and 2021 rav 4 but keep coming back to glc. I would like to buy a newer one but a lot are high milage or been neglected and hauled massive caravans all over the country. So for now until I get the right fresh one with one owner from good home I will drive this one one owner 40000 mls gearbox service 2 wks ago and picked up new battery today. I can only give m opinion but I have lost count of cars and suvs I owned but keep coming back to the glc as a suv all rounder.

Just to add if you don’t go for glc
Look closely at vw Tiguan ( not r line ) sel I’d far better to drive. That would be my second choice after glc as said I had 3 of them.

Last edited:

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Everything worked as it should, still don't think the media interface is as good as BMW but apart from that cracking car, a
I should qualify that ours was 2019 build, so had the pad sticking out of the dash, the new Mercedes Glass cockpit's are absolutely the dogs danglies, so if they have made it into the GLC you shouldn't be disappointed

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Only thing I could say about the touch screens they are a pain in the sun with finger marks prefer they made them non touch. My bmw 530 m sport has large touch screen and all apps can be operated without touching but it’s just so easy to reach over and tap rather than going through menus then as said the finger marks are a pain of course you never see them until someone gets in the car and the sun comes out and screen looks stinking. Lol

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
Y
Only thing I could say about the touch screens they are a pain in the sun with finger marks prefer they made them non touch. My bmw 530 m sport has large touch screen and all apps can be operated without touching but it’s just so easy to reach over and tap rather than going through menus then as said the finger marks are a pain of course you never see them until someone gets in the car and the sun comes out and screen looks stinking. Lol
Likewise with my ocd, would be very hard to live with fingerprints issue, do they not have the option of a controller like in the Eclass.

Otherwise voice controls seems good on the mbux.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I have a 2021 GLC300 48v mild hybrid car, my first SUV and I absolutely love it.

I love the ride but it is different from a normal car a bit choppy if that makes sense?

I find it comfortable, very quiet and extremely quick.

The fuel consumption is not great, I get around 32/33 mpg using mostly country roads, on a run I can get 40+.

They are very easy to enter/exit.

I have a premium plus model with the running boards, these are pointless and not something I would yearn for but probably handy for children getting in and out as the GLC is fairly high.

The cargo area is not huge with the seats up but there is a good deal of room under the floor.

Robin

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Y

Likewise with my ocd, would be very hard to live with fingerprints issue, do they not have the option of a controller like in the Eclass.

Yes they can be controlled without touching screen but it’s just easier
touch screen.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Y

Voice control on MBUX is pretty good, also the steering wheel sensor controls work really well especially when driving.

Robin

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I have had my GLC43 (3 litre V6 petrol) new since 2018, now touching 40k miles, and very pleased with it. My sister has the 250 (2 litre petrol) and is equally as pleased. I would have thought that there should be more petrol 2017/18 cars around as that’s when diesel started to go out of fashion.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom