That Jeremy Vine cycling incident

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Don't flame me as I am no Mamil but it's actually recommended they ride 2 or 3 abrest. The reason being that to overtake one rider you still have to cross the center line. If they ride single file and, for example, lets say there are 10 of them at approximately 2m per bike then you are offside of center for 20 metres. If they ride 2 or 3 abrest then that distance is reduced by 2 or 3 respectively.

There's a youtube vid with Chris Boardman explaining why it is better for drivers if they bunch up rather line line up single file.

As said don't shoot the messenger.

Away with you and your sense, logic and reason!

This is a motoring forum, fingers are in ears, positions have been adopted. Trenches are dug! ;)

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
Join the queue behind my wife, kids, taxman and a long list.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Don't flame me as I am no Mamil but it's actually recommended they ride 2 or 3 abrest. The reason being that to overtake one rider you still have to cross the center line. If they ride single file and, for example, lets say there are 10 of them at approximately 2m per bike then you are offside of center for 20 metres. If they ride 2 or 3 abrest then that distance is reduced by 2 or 3 respectively.

There's a youtube vid with Chris Boardman explaining why it is better for drivers if they bunch up rather line line up single file.

As said don't shoot the messenger.

By analogy, when we shoot you, it will be automatic, not single shot. :D

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
At least with the double glazing on the s500 i can't hear the crunch of wheels and bones as I drive straight over them, i just have to remember to raise the airmatic and put the suspension on the softest setting.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
At least with the double glazing on the s500 i can't hear the crunch of wheels and bones as I drive straight over them, i just have to remember to raise the airmatic and put the suspension on the softest setting.

Brilliant, I must remember that :D:D

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Seems to me if you don't get out of your car and cycle you really have no idea what its like to be a cyclist... I see some vitriolic nonsense spouted here.

Go ride a bike and see what dicks car drivers can be.. Lycra clad cyclists usually are bright enough compared to pedestrians dressed in black who wander into roads.

At the end of the day the roads are there to be shared and all users of it should be considerate of both their own vulnerability but also of the need to actually share it...

I see bad cyclists and I see bad drivers... Equal culpable but not equally vulnerable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I ride a bike but hopefully have the sense to interpret the "right to use the road" is not an invitation to be a nuisance pursuing that "right"

It reminds me of the prat who pursues his "right" to walk across a friends farmyard because of a right of way.

It doesn't lead to much and its right in the middle of a busy working farm, an offer to move it a few yards behind a building where its much safer ( and a better view) was rejected.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Both parties involved are idiots, however someone really needs to explain to the driver that she does not necessarily own the bit of road in front of her, this "attitude" is the cause of countless confrontations on the road every day, the only solution for this is more driver training.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
This is what you get when you cram a population of 8.5 million people into an area of 700sq miles using various modes of transport. No doubt the concentration in central London is much higher than the average London borough which only adds to the problem.

If it wasn't for the Political and civil servant classes I'm sure central London would have been pedestrianised years ago but unfortunately it won't happen any time soon.

So we are left with a situation where the cyclists and motorists try to tolerate each other but confrontational behaviour becomes the norm.

There are arguments for and against the rights of each group but only one group is in any real danger so when the police have the opportunity to act they should.

The lady in question had obviously lost the plot and was a danger to all around her so if she did have her collar felt quite right

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
Both parties involved are idiots, however someone really needs to explain to the driver that she does not necessarily own the bit of road in front of her, this "attitude" is the cause of countless confrontations on the road every day, the only solution for this is more driver training.

they are equally revolting, he's a spineless cry baby and she's a bully

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had the same thing today in Seaton, very narrow road, I stopped as cycle coming towards me, a car behind the cycle decides to try and overtake the cycle while level with me, but he could not, and yes I did tell him what I thought of him and his driving.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I had the same thing today in Seaton, very narrow road, I stopped as cycle coming towards me, a car behind the cycle decides to try and overtake the cycle while level with me, but he could not, and yes I did tell him what I thought of him and his driving.

You really have to wonder, is it impatience, or incompetence? Why are other people's journeys more important than ours? :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You really have to wonder, is it impatience, or incompetence? Why are other people's journeys more important than ours? :confused:

So true Alex,,, its the worst of living down here in the peak season, once they start leaving the town the driving standard is just shocking.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Because unfortunately for everyone else, I'm the most important person on whatever bit of road I happen to be on :p

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57

Mostly because they have crap cars.

We don't have crap cars so we're able to sit back and enjoy the journey in style, comfort and serenity ;)

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I was almost wiped out whilst returning from watching stage 1 of the Tour of Britain on my bike. I came to a roundabout and the road was clear for me to keep going, half way round a car to my left decided to not stop at the give way line and I had to swerve to avoid a collision. Just checked my camera and it missed me by a few inches.

The problem as I see it is drivers are not aware of cyclists the way they are of cars, it matters not whether we are wearing Hi-Vis vests, bright colours and reflective clothing, drivers just don't pay enough attention. If the cyclist isn't the size and shape of a car then it doesn't compute in their brain that something is approaching. Also drivers are not awaye of the speed cyclists get up to on a flat road and think we all bumble around at 6mph, therefore they seem to think it ok to pull out of side roads when we are a few feet away from them.

1.png

2.png

3.png

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Sadly incidents like above are all too common, this was a punishment pass I received a couple of weeks ago, athough for what I don't know as it was a quiet stretch of dual carriageway and I wasn't causing any hold-ups. I had no idea this van was passing until he was up the side of me, about 6 inches from my handlebars, it certainly gave me a wake up call

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

ae.jpg

af.jpg

ag.jpg

Top Bottom