The Life & Times of an SL500

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current SL400 2016 R231 Previously owned SL500 2005 R230
Never mind Malcolm, don't lose sleep over it. I just don't live on this forum like some do......;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Never mind Malcolm, don't lose sleep over it. I just don't live on this forum like some do......;)

They had been in the for sale for some 2 months, I wish I had more time to spend on here ;)

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They had been in the for sale for some 2 months, I wish I had more time to spend on here ;)

Typical - you wait all that time and then three buyers come all at once! Of course I wasn't really in the market until I found out about my wheel issues last week and your offer was then too good to ignore.

Aren't we lucky that you enjoy spending so much time here......my OH is nagging me to collate all the info you have shared with me so far, so I must do that soon..........never enough hours in the day are there. :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have tried 4 times in the last 6 years to sell the things, life is odd :(

I am getting old now as I forgot about your buckled wheels :(

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am getting old now as I forgot about your buckled wheels :(

Not your problem though! :lol: Fingers crossed WIM will sort them by sending them off to this firm in Edmonton that they use and they will come back perfect........well I can live in hope!

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So the latest.....drove to WIM in Chesham and left the car with them for two days. Had been given a price for the worst case price scenario for tracking/alignment plus the buckling to be corrected.

Tracking turned out to be fine, so no bolts were needed, just the standard cost plus the cost of the wheel repair. A quick inspection of the car showed firstly......a massive pile of bird poo, as she was parked under a tree :rolleyes:....... and secondly a new large scratch on the front face of one of the alloys that wasn't there before. :mad: I appreciate that handling these things is difficult and a lot of work had been done, but I was not impressed. Negotiated a bit of extra discount, but when I did the sums later, that turned out to be the grand total of £15.....not enough to cover a repair that's for sure.

Anyway, the sun shone the next day, so the wheels came off so that I could give them a really good clean up and get all the gunge off from where all the previous weights had been. The insides were a hell of a mess, having been painted over following the straightening procedure, but at least it isn't visible when the wheels are on. There is flaking paint around the wheel nut holes and some round the edges, so I suspect a full refurb will be required at some point. That won't come until I have a) the new wheels and winter tyres on, as purchased here from another lovely member and b) I've earnt enough money to pay for them. :)

Gave her a full wash and brush up, but still have to sit down, trawl the threads and decide what I need to purchase as a minimum for a "detailing kit". I want her to look good, feel shiny but for the least effort please! I fancy an electric polisher, but am a bit concerned as to whether I might do more harm than good in my unskilled hands.....:lol:

Today the sun shone and my it was hot. Needed to take our Audi for a bulb replacement, but no way was a missing this opportunity to go "topless". :lol:

So drove to the garage, collected the bulb and hope that hubby can fit it easily. If not, back to the garage I will go....but not on a sunny day! The other goal of the journey was a trip to an outdoor swimming pool. Took a picnic, swam with the youngest(soo unfit....:rolleyes:) and sunbathed for a few hours. Bliss. Journey home involved a lovely relatively clear dual carriageway, so great to let her have her head as a change to a trip to town and back to do the banking and shopping!

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I think i am becoming somewhat blase now about the pinging noise and the 'malfunction' indicator on the dash...

Fired her up today 'bing' , ABC Malfunction. ..... Wife gets in looks at it and gives me a 'whats broken now' look ..... I switch it off ...switch it back on .... No fault..... I smile sweetly and drive us into town with the top down.....

So question is - am i right to be a bit blase or not ?

I have seen the red brake pressure/distance light thing about 3 times now but always after its been in the garage for a few days .... Seen the consumer electrics offline ..again after sitting for, usually about a week or more - doesnt happen often , the distronic cruise control go offline as i drove in a huge rainstorm - expected .. And now this....

But what a gorgeous drive down to Worcester with the sun shining here .... And no Malcolm you cant have it back .. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just ignore those things, turn off and restart and off you go. It did that once to me in the last 2½ years and nothing shown on STAR

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I think sometimes the car just wants to talk !!!***???......sort of pleased to see you.

Mic

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe its me being grumpymin my old age but i would be happy just with silence ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mic put it very well, the cars are like the linguaretronic lady, they need attention now and then ;):D

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh i gave up talking to her ... Maybe i should start again ?

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver R231 350SL Corris Grey L405 FFRR Autobiog
Mine is either very grumpy or very happy as she's not talked to me for ages (fingers crossed) :D except for consumer battery warning after 3 weeks of not being driven - I was trifling with the other car for that period. Did find a slightly damp carpet in the drivers footwell today when cleaning it, but that may be old damp from the previously blocked blower drain, if that gets to the drivers side?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine is either very grumpy or very happy as she's not talked to me for ages (fingers crossed) :D except for consumer battery warning after 3 weeks of not being driven - I was trifling with the other car for that period. Did find a slightly damp carpet in the drivers footwell today when cleaning it, but that may be old damp from the previously blocked blower drain, if that gets to the drivers side?

Three weeks is the max that they will go without a charge :D:D

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a lovely drive yesterday in the SL (all for work but just driving the car was the 'lovely' bit) 126 miles both ways.... through a mixed set of weather..sun and rain .... new tyres performing very well in rain I might add having just done a very quick stop on the Motorway from 85 to 0 in a short time... Also just had to see what it could do on a quiet bit of the M4 .... 120 was all I dared due to police etc but clearly was happy to go more easily... averaged 26 mpg (prob about 20mpg less than my CLK was getting) and not unhappy with that for such an engine...

Downside for me ...I seem to have a rattle in the hood mechanism on drivers side... hopefully its just a loose bolt or something (Malcolm?) that i can tighten..I held it a bit as i went over a few bumps and it quieted it down... will check it at week-end and hopefully just some tightening needed somewhere...

By
Delighted Of Droitwich :D

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Downside for me ...I seem to have a rattle in the hood mechanism on drivers side... hopefully its just a loose bolt or something (Malcolm?) that i can tighten..I held it a bit as i went over a few bumps and it quieted it down... will check it at week-end and hopefully just some tightening needed somewhere...

By
Delighted Of Droitwich :D

Dear Delighted

are you sure it's a rattle? I believe most of the apparent rattles (mine included) end up being the rubber seals (of which there are many) breaking contact/moving on the metal against which they seal. Rattles, creaks, cracks - all can be due to this

There are as many posts on the subject as there are rattles - the most successful of which I am aware is the little bottle of either Krytox or the MB rip-off equivalent - you need to prop the roof half open & apply it to every bit of rubber you can see - leave it to dry out for an hour and you could well find the "rattle" has gone :)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
definately a metalic rattle... and yes i will be propping the hood open shortly to look...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Every rubber has been treated on that car many times with the correct agent.

I never did have a rattle on the car, lower the window and see to make sure it is not from the rear side window.

It had the modified bolts, though it never needed them

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom