The W126 Bug Has Struck Again

walshy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 W140 1998
I sold my 500SEL a fortnight ago&promised "her indoors" I'd get on with the decorating jobs around the house etc over winter. She was delighted because selling the car in her eyes meant I no longer needed "that pile of junk on the side drive" (my donor car).
A man of my word I dueley listed said spares car on ebay&my intentions of a winter clearout were all good, until I browsed the internet 3 days after saying Auf Weidersen to my SEL&found a tidy looking 300SE.
A long way from me, but looked clean&at right kind of price. The rest is history, its now on my drive, donor car removed from ebay and everything back as it should be in my eyes!
To be honest I'd probably no intention of staying "classic free" over winter. I'd already been browsing Jag XJ40's before my 500 sold.
I'd wanted to sell the big one as i didn't fancy another winter with it stored outside &pick up a cheap Jag as something interesting to run over winter and then along came what my mates have now christened "The Mini Panzer" in relation to its bigger brother the SEL.
Anyway a 300mile trip back with it last sunday was a breeze&apart from a sticking rear caliper(due to lack of use), which soon freed itself off, and the right hand side of the dash binnacle lights not working she plodded home at a steady 70mph, through rain sleet hail &snow and rewarded me with 30mpg.
Looking forward to getting stuck into a couple of little fixes it needs, giving it a service and putting one of Stuttgarts elder statemen up against the worst that a British winter can throw at it.
Bet you this is a battle that the Germans win this time!

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
Lol, its funny isnt it. I bought an SEC the other week. Like i need another car! My friends were already close to doing an intervention on me and my current obsession, now i have another. They were less than impressed, apart from the ones with good taste in cars! :)

Hope yours serves you well. What colour is it?

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
My advice was obviously good and bad in

equal parts.

Sorry you got shot of that lovely 500, but glad you gave way to the urge. Is this the automotive equivalent of swapping heroin for methadone?

OP
walshy66

walshy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 W140 1998
Its silver (astralsilber to give it its proper name) with grey interior. Only a 3litre but for the kind of use i give it thats not a problem and it feels more responsive than the V8.
Nicely specced too. Leather/Aircon/Alloys/Cruise/Headlamp wash-wipe, so it'll suit me fine as a winter car.
The heroine/methadone comparison is pretty good too!

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
They are pretty much the only car i like in silver. And nothing wrong with a lovely straight six three litre. Also meant to be pretty indestructible arent they.
Just dont leave it parked up in London too long. I hear the straight sixes are much more popular to disappear off to Africa in a container.

Congrats :)

OP
walshy66

walshy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 W140 1998
I've heard they're quite popular with our friends on the African continent!!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom