The W126 restoration thread

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
After a fair bit of rubbing down with 400 grit wet 'n dry, i had to cover the tyres.
Lots of masking tape was required as i don't have a tyre fitting machine.
Its pretty easy to do, just take your time.
A good wipe over with some pre paint, and they were ready for a bit of etch primer. This has some sort of acid in it which eats into the surface onto which you are spraying giving the best possible adhesion. Its £12 a can so use sparingly. Its important to use this, especially on areas of bare metal, as normal primer would flake off after a time. I gave the whole wheel a coat of etch prime as wheels are a pretty hostile enviroment for paint!
its nasty stuff, so make sure you have a mask ;)
Once that is dry, you can then put a coat of traditional grey primer on.
As you can see the wheels are looking better already!

P1020208.jpg

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
My halogen lights were ideal for curing each coat quickly, as they really give off some heat. I put the paint tins on my radiator to get them nice and warm before i used them. I also had my hot air gun out to heat the wheels a bit as the paint was going on. My garage has some heating, though it was still ****** cold!
Next some silver paint went on. A large can 5-600ml is plenty to do four wheels and centres. Then under the halogens for 15 minutes.
Finally some clear coat lacquer. I like the Plasti Cote brand of lacquer as it goes on really nice and doesn't sag or run as much as other lacquers. I put on three good coats of lacquer on each wheel, with a five minute drying window between each coat.

(My radiator was good for keeping my cup of tea warm as well!)

P1020209.jpg

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Finally, after a few hours to cure, i was able to remove all the masking.
what a transformation!
They still need a polish though to get the finish nice and shiny.
They were fitted back onto the car and then left for a couple of days to harden off fully.
Then you can go over them with some 1200 grit wet 'n dry (make sure its very wet when you do this). Then go over them with some G3 cutting compound.
Once i'd buffed that off, i was stunned at how well they had come out. I don't have any pictures of them on the car yet, but as soon as the weather improves i'll get some shots. Well pleased though!
Cost: approximatley £30. Bargain! ;)

P1020212.jpg

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Just braved the cold and been out to get a shot of the wheels on the car. "Brrrrrrr"
They look much better than they did! :p

P1020214.jpg

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
well done octanejunkie, they look good, you've certainly done a great job on the rest of the car too

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
An Excellent post

Having just read the whole post I am so impressed with the work you have done, this motor looks the business and you can be extremely proud of your effort.:cool:

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Had some nasty flu this week, and what with the Arctic weather we've been having, i haven't made any further progress.
However, today i feel a little better and just about had enough energy to give the car a wash and leather (knackered now though!).
Its not had a wash since i bought it, and i was stunned at how good its now looking. Put a big smile on my cracked, cold sore infected lips.

P1020233.jpg

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
P1020221.jpg

Interior looks great now, and the DVD player has been a real hit with passengers! (mostly Only Fools And Horses :p)

There is still plenty to do on the car before it can be sold.
Rear arches need a little attention around where those ghastly chrome things were fitted. There is a bit of welding to do around the bump stop mountings inside the rear arch (all old Merc saloons go here!), but its only minimal.
I may get the drivers side sway bar mount done professionally. Its not too bad, but my welder hasn't got the oomph for that. Luckily i know a man who restores Bentlys and Rollers, and hes done some excellent quality work for me in the past, so i'll give him a ring.
There is the fuel system to overhaul, plus an overdue major service. Oh, and i've got to tax it again.
Ummmm...., and fit some new tyres on the back as they're looking a bit old.
I'm hoping the car will be finished sometime towards the end of February. ;)

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Oh, and i really need a set of rear bumper chromes if anyone knows where there is a set :confused:

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
I dont know about you but when I set about cleaning my W126, I spend all day doing it and all week simply looking at it! They are automotive beauty .......

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
I dont know about you but when I set about cleaning my W126, I spend all day doing it and all week simply looking at it! They are automotive beauty .......

W126's and Jaguar X300's are my favourites. Sheer elegance.
It may be a Merc forum, but this was a cracker that i did in 2008..

DSCF0311.jpg

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
I spend all week cleaning mine and then another week looking at it. And taking pictures. I am a man obsessed! Keeps me out of trouble though.. :)
I'm sure theres spme bumper chromes on ebay at the mo?
Yours does look lovely. I dont think theres a bad colour combination on these cars but i particularly like yours.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i absolutely love the work you've done on the car and your photos and your descriptions of the job, well done and keep it up, i wish you lived near me so that you could help me fix up my old merc

great job ! looks great too :)

when you sprayed your wings did you use aerosol cans or proper spray painting equipment, can you elaborate on that process a bit please ?

cheers
niall

robert_jean221

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 C220 cdi Estate (W203)
Fabulous job and a great post, given me the kick up the a*** that I need to do my mags, thanks for that.

OP
octanejunkie

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
i absolutely love the work you've done on the car and your photos and your descriptions of the job, well done and keep it up, i wish you lived near me so that you could help me fix up my old merc

great job ! looks great too :)

when you sprayed your wings did you use aerosol cans or proper spray painting equipment, can you elaborate on that process a bit please ?

cheers
niall

When i sprayed the wings i just used aerosols. I did spend a bit extra and have them made by a proper paint shop though.
The key to getting a good finish is taking your time. Use an acid etch primer on bare metals, so you know the paint won't flake off 6 months down the line. I like to make sure the paint cans are nice and warm before i start as well. The paint flows so much better when its warm, and also adheres to the body much better. If its cold weather, or there is damp in the air, i use a heat gun to keep the panel warm and dry. Careful use of a heat gun whilst you are spraying (paint can in one hand, heat gun in the other) helps the paint cure much quicker. It also greatly improves your chances of not getting runs in the paint.
Its important to make sure the panel is spotlessly clean before you start. Liberal use of a pre paint or de greasing solution is essential. I've had many occasions in the past where paint has been ruined by something being on the bodywork and reacting with the paint. This can be something daft like a finger print, or a tiny spot of grease or something you couldn't see with the naked eye.
Its taken some time to perfect the methods i use, and its mostly self taught. Some folks in the past have scoffed (mostly snotty Jaguar owners) at my "bloke in a garage" routines, but i don't have hundreds of pounds to throw around on a car of only moderate value. I do what i can to keep some nice classic cars on the road. :p

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom