Thinking of leaving BMW

Robb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Kompressor,1.8 2006
BMW’s are shite and always will be because they are a god awful vehicle.
Buy a Merc and you’ll never look back especially after driving a BM,
I’d sooner have a bus pass than a BMW!!.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
That's a bit harsh. I liked my three BMWs and had only one technical problem in 10 years and over 200k miles. But I like my Mercedes much better.:)

And I'm now at the time of life when I can have a Mercedes and a bus pass!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
My only criticism of BWM, I had a 318 back in 2007, was that they marketed the thing as a 'Driving Machine' and I thought it drove like a Truck. So heavy, clutch, steering, everything !! It wasn't as though it was a high miler either, it had done 12500 miles when I bought it !! :(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

For something that bad, they level off against MB and match them for sales volume, so 30% of the European premium executive market can't be too wrong in their preferences...

Nick Wood

Reaction score
Website
carfiles.org
Your Mercedes
S210 E320cdi 2001
I own 3 BMW's, 2 times a 740i (4.4 liter V8 automatic) and a Z3 Coupe (2.8 6-in-line manual). Those are cars were build in the last century and they are great! (1 740i built in 1997 which is actually the best one, 1 740i built in 2000 which is technically advanced but does have it's problems and the Z3 Coupe which was built in 2000 and NEVER missed a beat!) I do agree the modern versions don't live up to their standards anymore, in that respect I fully understand your wish for a quality product like Mercedes.

The difference between Mercedes and BMW in my opinion:

Mercedes:
  • Luxury cruiser. The things that are wrong with it (after 2006 or something) are neglectable.
  • IF something goes wrong it'll cost a lot! Comparing to BMW's there is not much difference.
  • As far as I know the transmission, suspension and the overall quality are almost flawless.

BMW:
  • Sporty, but not to an extend you'll have to boot in on luxury. (There can be very much wrong on a BMW in the meantime!)
  • IF something goes wrong it'll cost you a fortune, difference is the BMW dealership won't find the problem and you will be stuck with a very large (unnecessary) bill.
  • BMW's which were built after 2001 are just not attractive in design, beside the point they are not reliable.
  • Personally I find the seats in an BMW 7-series more comfortable, that is only my opinion. Having said that, I do own an E-class and to be fully honest about it I should try an S-class to have a true reference.
  • Suspension and whatever control arms and bushings are just weak and need to be replaced every 60.000miles at least.
  • Just my experience, the ZF gearbox in any BMW is not up to the task of moving a heavy car around over time.

On the last point I'm not totally honest, I do have a tow bar and a trailer which weighs 2.2 tons. Being my car-trailer and most of the times there is more than 2.5 tons in total weight behind the 7-series. The trailer itself weighs about half a ton, imagine a 2-ton car on it which is no exception. So I'm not fuzzy about the gearbox not doing whatever I want. Going to rebuild it just the same shortly. All this is besides the point though.

I'm not somebody who's true to a specific brand, I drove whatever car you can imagine over the last 43 years and beyond. From Maserati's, Ferrari's, Buick's, even a Lamborghini and then, Mitsubishi's, Mazda's, Opel's (in the UK known as Vauxhalls), VW's, Audi's and a lot more.

My point is that Mercedes is a "top of the line" car, BMW is lacking in whatever you expect from it over the last 16 years The only segment in which BMW made progress is in the 2 latest 7-series being the F01/F02 and the G11/G12 in which the latter is the longer version. I don't have any personal reference to the S-class in this matter but I'm sure those are very desirable. Guess I have to buy one and find out.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nothing wrong with BMW's IMO, just I find them bland nowadays.
Now I did have an 840ci back in the day which wasn't bland at all;)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome, I also had a BMW before the four Mercs. A better drivers car, but now approaching 70 I much prefer the comfort of the Merc. I was not impressed with BMW servicing, Merc is much better.

Robb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Kompressor,1.8 2006
For something that bad, they level off against MB and match them for sales volume, so 30% of the European premium executive market can't be too wrong in their preferences...
They are still crap!!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
I’ve recently gone from years of BMW ownership (E30, E46, E90 & E60) to Merc and don’t regret it all!

It’s a completely different experience, both are brilliant, but it just depends on what you’re looking for.

I’m finding the Merc interior a lot more special place to be than BMW, however the Beemers are definitely more driver-focussed and ‘cockpit’ like.

I’m still getting used to the more relaxed nature in which the Merc encourages you to drive...my partner commented positively how she prefers the smooth acceleration and braking in the Merc, rather than being shoved back and forth in her seat as she was in the Beemer...

A mate of mine has literally just bought a well sorted 2004 X5 3.0D Sport on 100k miles and I drove it last week; it reminded what BMW well, driver’s cars, and it felt like it was hewn from granite! It made me think that if I had some money to burn, I’d buy an old silly-engined BMW (I don't think it would matter what series it was) and enjoy it as weekend car, but stick to the relaxed luxury of the Merc for the day-to-day driving.

@Robb, you must have had a really bad experience with BMW, and I’m sorry it’s made you feel the way you do, but they are far from crap cars!

Cheers,

Nick

Robb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Kompressor,1.8 2006
I’ve recently gone from years of BMW ownership (E30, E46, E90 & E60) to Merc and don’t regret it all!

It’s a completely different experience, both are brilliant, but it just depends on what you’re looking for.

I’m finding the Merc interior a lot more special place to be than BMW, however the Beemers are definitely more driver-focussed and ‘cockpit’ like.

I’m still getting used to the more relaxed nature in which the Merc encourages you to drive...my partner commented positively how she prefers the smooth acceleration and braking in the Merc, rather than being shoved back and forth in her seat as she was in the Beemer...

A mate of mine has literally just bought a well sorted 2004 X5 3.0D Sport on 100k miles and I drove it last week; it reminded what BMW well, driver’s cars, and it felt like it was hewn from granite! It made me think that if I had some money to burn, I’d buy an old silly-engined BMW (I don't think it would matter what series it was) and enjoy it as weekend car, but stick to the relaxed luxury of the Merc for the day-to-day driving.

@Robb, you must have had a really bad experience with BMW, and I’m sorry it’s made you feel the way you do, but they are far from crap cars!

Cheers,

Nick
It is only my personal opinion of them that’s all,no need to be sorry Nick,I would say most people like them (god knows why!!),I drive and work on many make of cars and BMW are the worst car on the road in my opinion but then again opinions are like arseholes,.......everyone’s got one!
Either way you can’t beat a Merc ,I thrash the nuts off mine everywhere and it never misses a beat.

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Fair enough Robb, it just seems very harsh, but if that's the way you feel, then fair enough!

@CowleyStJames, the indicators do work, it's just that must drivers can't cope with the electric shock you get when you touch the stalk...I managed to get through the pain threshold and use mine appropriately :D:p

Cheers,

Nick

OP
A

andysat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Welcome, I also had a BMW before the four Mercs. A better drivers car, but now approaching 70 I much prefer the comfort of the Merc. I was not impressed with BMW servicing, Merc is much better.
Can I ask what you mean?-thanks

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I don’t care......they are crap!!!

You are wrong. BMW and Audi, like Mercedes, all make some great cars.
It just those of us here have chosen Mercedes.
Crap is a word you cannot level at BMW.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are wrong. BMW and Audi, like Mercedes, all make some great cars.
It just those of us here have chosen Mercedes.
Crap is a word you cannot level at BMW.
It is when one beats you off at the lights!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Can I ask what you mean?-thanks
If you want a more sporting car with harder suspension then its a BMW. If you want a more relaxed drive better comfort then its a MB.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom