Time to replace the CLK ragtop

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Time to get a coffee and sit in the garden and enjoy a nice still morning before the sun comes out and fries use all to death!!!!

Sounds just like the UK today ;)

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Umble, not a snowballs chance in hell for another move, well only if I win big on the lottery but I'm not holding my breathe!!!

To me move I have used 2 forty and 2 twenty foot containers in the last 2 years and flown down 6 cats so I am going to relax a bit as I know I've got quite a fair bit of unboxing, sorting and organising things ahead.

Yes I've heard you've had some decent weather in the U.K., enjoy it whilst it lasts!!

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Hello Jules, did you ever change the car? Going back to your original post and speaking as the owner of an E A207 convertible (2010). Reasonable space in the back seats for average height passengers but headroom is tight with roof up and feels a bit claustrophobic with 2 passengers. Roof down though, it feels much better. Need to have front seats further forward to cope with longer passenger legs! The Air Con is A1, tested in the hot June Weather here and coped well. For Malta, see if you can get a model with dual zone option so your passengers keep cool in the back as well, a good addition for your neck of the woods I would say. I had an SL R230 for a short time before the E. I genuinely missed having the back seats. The SL was rear ended and written off so I didn't make the 2 seater mistake for the replacement! Enjoy Malta you lucky chap, lovely Island! Andy

OP
julesg007

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Hi Andy, thanks for your contribution.

I did look at various open top MB's including an SL, face lifted E class and of course SLK/SLC.

In the end we did opt for the SLC mentioned in the post and after a fantastic scenery laden 1900 mile drive through France and Italy she is happily sitting in a garage in Malta, wearing her new Maltese reg no. SLC 002!

Being honest I didn't start the search spefically thinking we were going to get an SLC as we were initially looking are a post 2013 facelifted E class due to it being a more natural successor to the CLK with 4 seats and a bit of extra flexibility for taking passengers and carry stuff but one of my concerns and I don't know if I was being overly cautious was the softtop roof. During summer the UV index reaches 10 and above regularly and I was worried it would damage the roof and cause it to fad. Also Malta is very dusty and I was concerned that it would be very abrasive especially when cleaning the roof. Also at the time of looking we were struggling to find a car with the right colour combination and spec for our budget, also age was a bit of an issue as the cars that were available were 2013/2014 so had come to or were nearing the end of the warranty period.

We did have a look at a couple of SL's but there is a big initial registration cost in Malta for them so although in our budget we didn't feel it was worth the extra in registration fees plus again the warranty would have expired.

Because we weren't absolutely fixed on a 4 seater we also looked at the SLK and SLC and that was when we found the example we ended up buying. It was less than a year old with only a few thousand miles on the clock, it was also in a correct colour combination with a decent spec list and as it was a private sale it was less than what a dealer would have wanted for it and most importantly the warranty still has over 2 years left to run and we can extend that should we wish to do so.

She is though our high days and holidays car as we are still running our '06 reg B class as the daily driver and we also have a Misty L200 Walkinshaw edition if we need to move stuff or just want to go somewhere where the roads are a bit rough but that'll become my daily driver once we settle down and get everything sorted in the house.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom