Timing Chain Replacement

Barnacle_Bill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI Sport
Hi Folk's, I've been trying to do some reading on the timing chain on my Mercedes, when I, or rather the Wife bought the car for me, the Salesman said the great thing about my car was, that the Timing Chain was an actual chain, and it was self lubricating, and that I never need to bother about it, as I don't need to ever change it, now, as we all know, salesmen can sometimes over egg the pudding, and so, can someone please tell, what is the truth on a Mercedes E280 CDI Sports Auto Timing Chain, my car only has done 64,000 miles

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
In general he's not too far off the mark as the chain is self lubricating, self tensioning and not part of a scheduled change routine.... however.....
MB have sadly compromised on some engines in terms of the chain and in some cases use simplex chains instead of duplex chains (a simplex chain is a single row chain, duplex is double row).
Simplex chains will on occasion exhibit signs of stretch and eventually will rattle as the tensioner can no longer take up the slack. At this point the chain needs to be changed as continued use will permit the chain to jump teeth on the sprocket.

On some engines MB also had an issue with 'soft' timing sprockets (M111 engines are known for this) and the sprocket wears away too rapidly.

On some other engines (M112/113/119/120 for example) the timing chains really do seem to last 'forever' and rarely give trouble.

Now all that said, the chains are generally very reliable and there are millions of vehicles that never have a problem but on forums we only ever get to hear about the ones that do.

OP
Barnacle_Bill

Barnacle_Bill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI Sport
Thanks for that LostKiwi, I appreciate the help, as I say, I've got the E280 CDI Sport Auto, the 3 litre diesel, if you don't mind me asking, would you have any idea what type engine will be in my car, I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

I seem to remember Edd China on Wheeler Dealers saying that Mercedes needed regular chain replacing when he was working on an American Mercedes, it looked to be a good size chain he took off as well, and it got me thinking

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'd guess yours is an OM642 with a double row chain. Just be aware any chain will eventually stretch so be aware what it sounds like.
This is a good example:

OP
Barnacle_Bill

Barnacle_Bill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI Sport
Thanks a lot LostKiwi, I wouldn't have had a clue what to look or listen for, but I do now thanks to you, very much appreciated

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I was watching Wheeler Dealers the other day were Edd was replacing the chain on a V8 560SEL.

He attached the new chain to the old and fed it through which ensured the timing marks never got out of synch.

Fascinating.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was watching Wheeler Dealers the other day were Edd was replacing the chain on a V8 560SEL.

He attached the new chain to the old and fed it through which ensured the timing marks never got out of synch.

Fascinating.

Thats how you do Saabs too. Much easier if you have the gear to do it.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
OM642 chain may stretch, it can be roughly estimate by checking how far tensioner piston is extended. If lubrication hole is visible, more accurate measurement/chain replacement is good idea.

pics here, tensioner can be seen via oil filler hole
http://mersuforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=155992

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Unless you think you have timing chain noise I wouldn't worry , everything I have read on the om642 ( I have the same engine ) is that it is good for intergalactic mileage . Of all the problems the om642 can have , that isn't one you need to worry about .

OP
Barnacle_Bill

Barnacle_Bill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI Sport
Thanks everyone for contributing, it really is good to know there is plenty help out there, all that needs doing, is to ask for it, I'll admit, with it being such a high spec quality car, I worried just that bit, but now, I feel well relaxed about it, thanks to people like you

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks everyone for contributing, it really is good to know there is plenty help out there, all that needs doing, is to ask for it, I'll admit, with it being such a high spec quality car, I worried just that bit, but now, I feel well relaxed about it, thanks to people like you
If you are at all worried ring one of the Indys that sponsor the site . If you haven't had an ATF oil and filter change at you mileage you should add it to your list .
Keep an eye on the orange seal at the front of the turbo they can leak oil with expensive consequences . That engine really likes new air filters as well .
What area do you live in . I would guess south coast with your username and picture :D

OP
Barnacle_Bill

Barnacle_Bill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI Sport
If you are at all worried ring one of the Indys that sponsor the site . If you haven't had an ATF oil and filter change at you mileage you should add it to your list .
Keep an eye on the orange seal at the front of the turbo they can leak oil with expensive consequences . That engine really likes new air filters as well .
What area do you live in . I would guess south coast with your username and picture :D

Well you're almost right in saying South Coast, the South West of Scotland, Dumfries to be precise, Robert Burns Country, where the nearest Merc Dealership is in Carlisle, the good thing with the car is, it had a full service and new tyres when it was purchased, but with it being new to me, I've been keeping an eye under the bonnet for leaks or anything out of place, but so far, everything looks fine, I have to say, I've never been happier with any car I've ever had

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well you're almost right in saying South Coast, the South West of Scotland, Dumfries to be precise, Robert Burns Country, where the nearest Merc Dealership is in Carlisle, the good thing with the car is, it had a full service and new tyres when it was purchased, but with it being new to me, I've been keeping an eye under the bonnet for leaks or anything out of place, but so far, everything looks fine, I have to say, I've never been happier with any car I've ever had
Nice part of the world . I have an E320cdi which is the same car and I still love it after 6 years of ownership .

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom