Tracker to comply with car insurance

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Our car insurance is due for renewal at the end of next month, so I was just going on the comparison sites to see how much it will be.
Our current policy cost £372 but I can't find anything right now that is less than nearly £500. However what worries me even more is that having just read the small print of our current policy it says right down the bottom that a requirement of the policy is that the car has an approved tracker that has been installed since inception of the policy for the car to be covered by theft. I had no idea, I've never noticed the option to tick if you have a tracker fitted or not when I've insured the car in the past and if I had I'd certainly not have ticked it, so have no idea how I ended up buying this particilar policy.
Is this how all car insurance companies work now?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I’ve not seen that option to tick either. But I do know that if they try to put up the prices too much I’ll just stop driving next year.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I’ve not seen that option to tick either. But I do know that if they try to put up the prices too much I’ll just stop driving next year.
It's lunacy isn't it, car insurance has gone up so much and now you are expected to put an expensive tracker on it too? I've been looking at prices and although some trackers aren't too much to buy they tend to have a monthly charge.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It's lunacy isn't it, car insurance has gone up so much and now you are expected to put an expensive tracker on it too? I've been looking at prices and although some trackers aren't too much to buy they tend to have a monthly charge.
You need to ensure the trackers are insurance approved as well…
I don’t subscribe to any insurance based tracking - I’ve seen the tickbox options for it on the comparison sites though.

I do have a number of trackers I use (some of my vehicles have multiple ones…) although none are there because insewerance demanded it. ;)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Never knew this, just another way the insurers can get out of a claim
Mind you, i don't read the small print, haven't the eyesight or reading skills.....

:shock:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Drive people away from driving but still collect as much or more cash, neat! I never remember Bein asked if I wanted to contribute to various golf matches either!!!!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Our car insurance is due for renewal at the end of next month, so I was just going on the comparison sites to see how much it will be.
Our current policy cost £372 but I can't find anything right now that is less than nearly £500. However what worries me even more is that having just read the small print of our current policy it says right down the bottom that a requirement of the policy is that the car has an approved tracker that has been installed since inception of the policy for the car to be covered by theft. I had no idea, I've never noticed the option to tick if you have a tracker fitted or not when I've insured the car in the past and if I had I'd certainly not have ticked it, so have no idea how I ended up buying this particilar policy.
Is this how all car insurance companies work now?
That does surprise me. I suppose you are close to London but, and no disrespect intended, the A180d is unlikely to be the target for many thieves.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
That does surprise me. I suppose you are close to London but, and no disrespect intended, the A180d is unlikely to be the target for many thieves.
I did get in touch with the insurance company, they don't seem to have a phone number but they do have an online chat. Took ages to get through on that and eventually they told me that the part I was reading didn't apply to our insurance. I'm not sure how it doesn't as it's there on the policy but I did a screen shot of that part of the chat just in case.
You are obviously right in that our car is unlikely to be the target for thieves as it's old and not worth much, although I have got into the habit of closing the gates to the drive at night now, just in case ;)

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I did get in touch with the insurance company, they don't seem to have a phone number but they do have an online chat. Took ages to get through on that and eventually they told me that the part I was reading didn't apply to our insurance. I'm not sure how it doesn't as it's there on the policy but I did a screen shot of that part of the chat just in case.
You are obviously right in that our car is unlikely to be the target for thieves as it's old and not worth much, although I have got into the habit of closing the gates to the drive at night now, just in case ;)
Not a bad habit to have. :cool:

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
We were insured with the NFU for the Merc, Jazz and GT3. They slipped a tracker requirement for the GT3 in when the policy was renewed without telling us. We spotted it a few months later so complained that a major change to the terms should have been flagged. Our local NFU agent agreed with us, but the NFU themselves conducted an 'internal investigation' and decided that they'd done nothing wrong. Guess what, we no longer insure with NFU...
The GT3 does have an activated tracker now though, as quite a few insurers were demanding it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom