Tyre choice

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Those tyres look old.
As tyres age the compound becomes brittle and they start to crack.
This is exacerbated by sunlight and lack of use.
Manufacturers put an additive in the compound to help keep the tyre supple, but it is only activated when the tyres are used and they warm up.
All manufacturers place date codes on their tyres.
The consensus appears to be that the average life expectancy of a tyre is 5 years, irrespective of use.
I'd have a look on the Pirelli site to see how old your tyres really are, some suppliers don't shift many premium brands and hence they only have old stock.
Tyres were 4yr old but unused when they went on last year so they are indeed around 5yrs. They are MO branded Pirelli.
I'm thinking that the 'mild' tune applied may not have helped.
Need something newer with more grip.!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Sunlight is certainly a big issue with tyres, we only do 3K miles a year in one car so the tyres are 8-9 years old before they are changed. But the car is always in the garage when not in use, & I have never seen any cracks on any of the tyres.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone with a Bluelight card can get 20% discount at Mr Tyre at the moment.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I put NEXEN's on my old ML270, replaced the Goodyears at more than half the price.
So far, first impressions, a lot quieter, I do not drive like i nicked it, so performance of the Nexen's seems as good as the old Goodyears.
I managed 19,000 on the Goodyears, they still had a bit left but tracking was out, so replaced them

Our MINI has Michelins, and i am going to replace them with Nexen's as now a bit sold on the brand, The Michelins have a lot of decent tread left, but are badly cracked on the side wall and between tread, so much so i do not think the MOT man will like them, they also make a lot of surface noise.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I put NEXEN's on my old ML270, replaced the Goodyears at more than half the price.
So far, first impressions, a lot quieter, I do not drive like i nicked it, so performance of the Nexen's seems as good as the old Goodyears.
I managed 19,000 on the Goodyears, they still had a bit left but tracking was out, so replaced them

Our MINI has Michelins, and i am going to replace them with Nexen's as now a bit sold on the brand, The Michelins have a lot of decent tread left, but are badly cracked on the side wall and between tread, so much so i do not think the MOT man will like them, they also make a lot of surface noise.

I inherited Nexen's on my current car. They were factory fit. My previous MB had Pirelli P Zero's and the Nexen's are so much quieter and like you I am no boy racer and they do all of what I want them to do :)

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
I’ve just fitted today 4 Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5 on my car... I’ve used asymmetric 3 in the past and very happy with them, specially in wet weather at high speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Those tyres look old.
As tyres age the compound becomes brittle and they start to crack.
This is exacerbated by sunlight and lack of use.
Manufacturers put an additive in the compound to help keep the tyre supple, but it is only activated when the tyres are used and they warm up.
All manufacturers place date codes on their tyres.
The consensus appears to be that the average life expectancy of a tyre is 5 years, irrespective of use.
I'd have a look on the Pirelli site to see how old your tyres really are, some suppliers don't shift many premium brands and hence they only have old stock.
My Pirelli P zero xls cracked so badly they deflated! They were manufactured in 2018 and still had around 5mm tread.

Even the fitters at Kwik Fit had never seen cracking do that, replaced them with Michelins, will never buy Pirelli again.

Mercedes SL500 R231

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
My Pirelli P zero xls cracked so badly they deflated! They were manufactured in 2018 and still had around 5mm tread.

Even the fitters at Kwik Fit had never seen cracking do that, replaced them with Michelins, will never buy Pirelli again.

Mercedes SL500 R231

I worked in the Vehicle Contract Hire industry for many, many years and we always insisted that when we purchased a new car, van or truck that they must be shod with Michelin. The main reason was the long life and minimal tyre wear. There was a downside however, the rubber was very hard and consequently the wet weather grip was not great. That was 20 years ago however but Michelin are still a good long wearing tyre :)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I worked in the Vehicle Contract Hire industry for many, many years and we always insisted that when we purchased a new car, van or truck that they must be shod with Michelin. The main reason was the long life and minimal tyre wear. There was a downside however, the rubber was very hard and consequently the wet weather grip was not great. That was 20 years ago however but Michelin are still a good long wearing tyre :)
These are Mercedes approved as alternatives to Pirelli for the SL, I hate driving in rain with 430bhp so it is not often the car is driven in poor weather, I am upgrading our other car as a poor weather load lugger so hopefully they will work out....

Mercedes SL500 R231

bosa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Estate/2008/180K
I’ve just fitted today 4 Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5 on my car... I’ve used asymmetric 3 in the past and very happy with them, specially in wet weather at high speed.

Great tyres, had them on my TT. However the grip can get you into bad habits and I only got 10k out of the fronts. We do have a lot of twisty roads near us though.

bosa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Estate/2008/180K
I need 4 tyres for my ML too .... this thread is food for thought :)

I have had Michelin Crossclimate SUVs on my 4x4 for 2 years. Quiet and grippy. There is a little more noise on wet roads but very pleased with them.

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
Great tyres, had them on my TT. However the grip can get you into bad habits and I only got 10k out of the fronts. We do have a lot of twisty roads near us though.

I’m afraid , I have some bad habits, but I’m getting old so… they coming out only on Autobahn

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
I think I'm firming up on either Goodyear Eagle F1 or Yokohama Advan Sport 105 are a possible?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I'm firming up on either Goodyear Eagle F1 or Yokohama Advan Sport 105 are a possible?

:(

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
Link Just ordered 2x uniroyal rain sports 5 from camskill.co.uk
Quite a bit cheaper than black circles and anywhere else for that matter
Now all I need to organise is the repair on the cracked rear alloy!
Then Mot
Then up for sale!!!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Link Just ordered 2x uniroyal rain sports 5 from camskill.co.uk
Quite a bit cheaper than black circles and anywhere else for that matter
Now all I need to organise is the repair on the cracked rear alloy!
Then Mot
Then up for sale!!!

Amazing Tyres

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Amazing Tyres
Have you driven on Rain Sport 5's, the reports I have read they are not as good as the previous RS 2's?
I have the 2's on the front of my 212 very pleased, the rear Conti's need changing now.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Have you driven on Rain Sport 5's, the reports I have read they are not as good as the previous RS 2's?
I have the 2's on the front of my 212 very pleased, the rear Conti's need changing now.

I have a full set on my car and have had for nearly a year, they replaced the RS3 that were on it. Have no issues with them at all

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom