Uneven wear

tromppost

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s320
The front two tyres are worn unevenly, insides are worn to 1.8 centre is about 4.0. The guy at the tyre shop said he can not do the tracking as the tyres are worn unevenly so need to replace them first. Do this sound right. I was hoping to get the tracking put right and swop the fronts with around with rears.
Any thoughts or advice?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I can't see what the condition of the tyres has to do with the process of tracking the car. Tracking is done by attaching a laser to the wheel, not the tyre. The slope of 2mm between inner and outer edge isn't going to make the slightest difference (it's not part of a basic toe-in setting anyway) and even if it did, you'd simply increase the pressure to raise the centre.

I can't see what he's on about, other than as an attempt at trying to flog you a couple of tyres. Sadly, in the garage trade, this kind of sales tactic isn't that unusual.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
The tracking process is nothing to do with tyre wear. The measurements are taken from the rim and not the tyre. Sounds like he is having you on. Having said that, it may be wise very soon to replace them any way as you are not far from the minimum depth. You may find after all this that your tracking is not that far out. Certain cars wear their inside edges as a matter of course. Keep an eye on your pressures though. Too low will wear the edges.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
I can't see what the condition of the tyres has to do with the process of tracking the car. Tracking is done by attaching a laser to the wheel, not the tyre. The slope of 2mm between inner and outer edge isn't going to make the slightest difference (it's not part of a basic toe-in setting anyway) and even if it did, you'd simply increase the pressure to raise the centre.

I can't see what he's on about, other than as an attempt at trying to flog you a couple of tyres. Sadly, in the garage trade, this kind of sales tactic isn't that unusual.

A mate of mine from work used to work for a well known high street tyre fitter and told me many horror stories of incentives to sabotage customer cars. Like when you go into the office to get served, they go out to the car park to write down your tyre size, put the car on the ramp and 'O dear, what's this? Sir you have a nail in your tyre........' He told me similar stories about clutches and brakes too. That is why he left.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom