Update The Front End Our CLS (W219).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Cornering fogs have a different lens/reflector setup to throw extra light to the side. They also illuminate when the indicator is used. All this only happens at speeds below 25mph.
Some CLS come with Active Curve headlamps whereby the headlamp swivels in response to steering input. This is sometimes incorrectly referred to as cornering lamps.

I have that on my main beams and very good on a empty road at night.

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Fogs coming on when locking/unlocking is a Convenience feature switchable via the cluster menu.

Could it mean that I can activate the DRLs via the convenience menu that is, to get them to power on automatically when unlocking my car.

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cornering fogs have a different lens/reflector setup to throw extra light to the side. They also illuminate when the indicator is used. All this only happens at speeds below 25mph.
Some CLS come with Active Curve headlamps whereby the headlamp swivels in response to steering input. This is sometimes incorrectly referred to as cornering lamps.

Thanks my man, Peter. Well explained.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Could it mean that I can activate the DRLs via the convenience menu that is, to get them to power on automatically when unlocking my car.

If they are connected to the fog light power connector. Not sure if its also then possible for them to function as DRLs
Presumably the DRL package is CANBUS compatible or else you will get errors.

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They also illuminate when the indicator is used.

Ok, If I understand, since all the new CLS have the DRL, does it mean the cornering option that illuminates when you turn the indicator lever is made redundant on the new CLS? What technology has been introduced to continue the cornering illumination via DRL?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have some sales books and I can take a look, I wonder if the cornering function has been dropped as they did cause confusion in certain area's

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Am I right in thinking these panels are not MB made or approved?
I thought that sort of thing was strictly taboo and frowned upon by the forum members.

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
Sorry but I personally don't think these work on the CLS at all, far too angular and made to match the styling of the newer cars. Those straight ones just look like a cobbled together mess.

Only DRLs I've seen that look right on a 219 are either replacing the fog with straight ones mounted centrally or round ones next to the fogs...each to their own though obviously.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Ok, If I understand, since all the new CLS have the DRL, does it mean the cornering option that illuminates when you turn the indicator lever is made redundant on the new CLS? What technology has been introduced to continue the cornering illumination via DRL?

Perhaps the fog lights are contained within the main headlamp cluster? If so the cornering is still retained and operates as before.
The DRLs can only operate as regulations require. Also they don't have the ability the direct light to the side.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I'd be interested in these but from what i can see he doesn't do DRL's for the 211 :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd be interested in these but from what i can see he doesn't do DRL's for the 211 :(

MB do a kit for the later 211's, I do not know if they are the same, I will try and find it

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
MB do a kit for the later 211's, I do not know if they are the same, I will try and find it

Thank you Malcom, being and earlier 211 i've not had much luck trying to find anything so far, so the help is appreciated ;):)

the director

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 R 350 Grand Edition; 2015 S 350
When all is said and done then, have we established that while there is power to the lights and assuming its a plug and play type set-up then all that will happen is that the car will have LED front fog lights (which may or may not come on when cornering). Oh, and a bank account that's £250 lighter?

The effect of DRL's will only be created should the driver turn on the front fog lights each time the engine is turned on?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When all is said and done then, have we established that while there is power to the lights and assuming its a plug and play type set-up then all that will happen is that the car will have LED front fog lights (which may or may not come on when cornering). Oh, and a bank account that's £250 lighter?

The effect of DRL's will only be created should the driver turn on the front fog lights each time the engine is turned on?

That is true,,, so one could put a dummy load in place of the fogs over the connections, most of the good after market auto on when engine running DL's have a sensor wired over the headlamp wires that turns them off at night or dims the DL's

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When all is said and done then, have we established that while there is power to the lights and assuming its a plug and play type set-up then all that will happen is that the car will have LED front fog lights (which may or may not come on when cornering).

Yes, sir!

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry but I personally don't think these work on the CLS at all, far too angular and made to match the styling of the newer cars

Did you actually look intently at the white bumper? It is a W219 AMG bumper fitted with the DRL. The DRL has been redesigned to accommodate the space of the oval fogs. The design was actually inspired from a W212 DRL. I don't see how they are far too angular. It's a perfect fit for the W219 AMG bumper. Also, considering the price one has to pay, I don't see why a man will boast about selling something which does not serve the purpose. Well, like I said, it's not a thing for everyone.

Only DRLs I've seen that look right on a 219 are either replacing the fog with straight ones mounted centrally or round ones next to the fogs...each to their own though obviously.

Well, the ones I have seen like what you have mentioned are the ones that require a complete bumper swap, most likely to be fibre glass bumper from 'Mec', 'Prior Design' or any of those aftermarket brands. These bumpers usually come with DRL integrated into them to replace the original oval fogs. The problem with these bumpers is that any little impact of force of even 10mph will completely shatter your fibre glass bumper. Well, if that's what you mean, I am not interested in any fibre glass bumper, just for the sake of having straight ones mounted centrally. Alternatively, there are ones sold on ebay for £20, sorry those as well are cheap chinese knock off. I am looking for something to enhance the look of my car while keeping it in its original concept and the ones I have discovered are the ones likely to do the trick.

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
If your still going to need to switch the DRLs on manually, why not just fit the extra bright LED replacement H7 bulbs in the existing foglights?

You get the LED look but with the styling in keeping with the original concept.

Its a lot of "cuffuffle" just to add DRLs.......I have my headlamps (HiD) switched in the menu to "always on" this fulfills my requirement for DRLs (as I do indeed consider them a safety feature).

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
Did you actually look intently at the white bumper? It is a W219 AMG bumper fitted with the DRL. The DRL has been redesigned to accommodate the space of the oval fogs. The design was actually inspired from a W212 DRL. I don't see how they are far too angular. It's a perfect fit for the W219 AMG bumper. Also, considering the price one has to pay, I don't see why a man will boast about selling something which does not serve the purpose. Well, like I said, it's not a thing for everyone.

Think you've completely misunderstood what I said, those DRLs are angular and the 219 is all curves and they don't suit the it. Doesn't matter how beautifully they fit or are made...they just look wrong!

Well, the ones I have seen like what you have mentioned are the ones that require a complete bumper swap, most likely to be fibre glass bumper from 'Mec', 'Prior Design' or any of those aftermarket brands. These bumpers usually come with DRL integrated into them to replace the original oval fogs. The problem with these bumpers is that any little impact of force of even 10mph will completely shatter your fibre glass bumper. Well, if that's what you mean, I am not interested in any fibre glass bumper, just for the sake of having straight ones mounted centrally. Alternatively, there are ones sold on ebay for £20, sorry those as well are cheap chinese knock off. I am looking for something to enhance the look of my car while keeping it in its original concept and the ones I have discovered are the ones likely to do the trick.

Don't be daft, of course they don't, the straight ones I have seen are mounted to a piece of mesh cut to fit the foglight cutout and matches the mesh that is in the centre cutout, the round ones are surface mounted next the foglights...which in the case of the AMG bumper are also round.

The ones you're looking at will look like £20 chinese style knock offs on the car because they don't suit the styling, particularly the non AMG you have as it is even more curvy at the front.

If you like them fine but given what you've spent on factory look upgrades I'm surprised you can't see it.

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ones you're looking at will look like £20 chinese style knock offs on the car because they don't suit the styling, particularly the non AMG you have as it is even more curvy at the front.

Oh well, on a second thought, you are actually right! Trust me, I have thought about this as well but a little convinced that they will rhyme with the concept of the W219.

If you like them fine but given what you've spent on factory look upgrades I'm surprised you can't see it.

I do mostly OEM modifications but this one just seems so original that I am finding myself giving in. Could your calling be the voice of Moses calling out from the wilderness 'Mcobinad, Mcobinad, thou shall not commit to this egregious modification'. Yes, b1g1an, I hear thy voice'. :)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom