Used car dealer servicing....my discovery when servicing my car

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
If its diesel, with a DPF, the regeneration process can be causing the oil level to rise in the sump by diluting it with diesel....causing it to expand in volume.

I have seen that before a good few times.

Yes it's a diesel....I'm going to keep a very close eye on it for the next few weeks and see what comes from that. So far I've covered just over 100 miles and touch wood no funny behaviour. I have been pootling along at 2k revs max however....no kickdowns or overtaking.

I'm reluctant to take it to MB or an Indie as I've just poured 6.5l of MB Genuine oil down it's gullet but having said that I might give it another oil and filter change in 1k miles to remove any contamination that may have occurred as you describe with the DPF regeneration...the genuine oil is cheap enough from MB Newcastle on ebay.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There are lots of honest and competent people about.
I trust some so much I get on a plane serviced by them and get operated on using equipment I haven't seen, never mind my car.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I would say that is no fixed guarantee based on the local main dealer here.....

True my main dealer is pretty good. But having had 9 new Mercedes, as a courtesy their top Technician spent 30 minutes looking it over.
He is excellent, in 20 years never known him not to instantly diagnose correctly any fault.
A number of friends who have had spurious problems have gone to him and everytime he listens to it, drives it and its fixed.

But I do hear what you say. The other Main Dealer that looked after my mothers is hopeless in comparison. E.g. A funny noise when harshly cornering. Note car was 2004 but only had 17,500 miles in it and was garaged. They changed oodles if things and billed her and the problem was never discovered. Such as lower ball joints, roll bar bushes, suspension bushes etc. Etc. on and on
( imo their approach is guess at something, change it, and bill the customer )

Last edited:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The car hasn't presented any symptoms of overfilling during the 8k miles covered prior to me servicing it which is why I didn't think I had cause to check the oil....if it had a dipstick I would've checked it as I've checked and topped up the other fluids in that time.

I guess all I can do now is keep a close eye on how it runs and hope no lasting damage has occurred. I covered 70 miles in it yesterday and will do the same each day for the rest of the week so I'm hoping any issues will present themselves soon enough, if there are any. Fingers crossed.

Not sure of its history but if your last service was hmmm @@@@ might be worth getting the gearbox oil changed by a decent Indy. That is often overlooked.

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
Not sure of its history but if your last service was hmmm @@@@ might be worth getting the gearbox oil changed by a decent Indy. That is often overlooked.

I did that around Halloween...at which point I've covered about 4k miles and it wasn't too bad...it had been done before which is consistent with the stamps in the service book. Also changed the coolant when swapping out the thermostat. Topped-up power steering fluid too.

Next up will be the rear diff oil and brake fluid.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

good advice, the first jobs I had done when I bought my SL500 was ABC fluid, Brake fluid and ATF all changed.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom