Vague Steering 450SLC 1980 - Vague Steering 450SLC 1980

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyVS

New Registration
Reaction score
The Steering on my 1980 450SLC has a lot of extra play, which is quite disconcerting at motorway speeds.
Is this normal? is it adjustable? is it safe? Could it just be tyre pressures?
I've had my tracking rods replaced and the alignment is true.
Thanks

Anthony Banos

Reaction score
Vague Steering 450SLC 1980

Check wheel-bearings for play. If play is up to 1" at the rim this is quite normal.

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com

Hi Anthony,

The free play you are experiencing in the steering is almost certainly down to the steering box.

It can be adjusted but it could be quite a game especially to the inexperienced
let alone the hot exhaust manifold covering the steering box. You should also note that if the  vehicle has covered a fair number of miles you will not get the free play out all together.

The so called reconditioned s\boxes are little better. So i wouldn't advise that you purchase one of those either.
The problem is they do not replace the parts that wear and cause the free play.

Unfortunately MB is the only way to get it true. But obviously you should try adjustment first.

Regards

Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

csilk

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedes-benzownersclub.co.uk

I second that especially about the exhaust manifold- let it cool down first.   After several attempts I found the easiest way was to get someone under the car to loosen the locknut with a short open ended spanner then to adjust the allen key (quarter turn to the left at a time) from the top before getting underneath to re tighhten the locknut.    Surprisingly although adjustment has made the steering considerably less weak ( it was affected by crosswinds and would track lines on the road) it seems to have slightly more play than before.  

I was relieved to see though from my reprint of the original MB dealership network workshop manual that this effect is to be expected.  Personally I wouldn't replace the box unless the play really gets excessive and when mine gets to that stage I'll probably buy the worm gear and other internal parts and recondition the thing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom