Viano and MOT's

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I've researched on a Viano going through auction.
It has MOT mileage increases in the early years as being very low.
For some reason it's first MOT was in less than 2 years from new and at 12K miles (plus a bit).
The next 2 'annual' MOT's saw 3K(ish) increases each.
Next MOT at 7 months on and another 3K(ish) miles.

Covering over 30k miles plus each 12 month MOT after this is more like the expected usage.

With it being a high spec vehicle I might believe the low usage of the early years if bought for nanny school runs or w/e events type purpose, but the unusual MOT periods might suggest the requirement being for a taxi licence.
While it's mileage is warranted (for what that's worth) at 144k, The possibility of the real mileage, if clocked before each MOT, being much higher is a concern.

Can anyone suggest an honest scenario for this?

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
How many owners?

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
perhaps a vehicle used for transporting people around (like old peoples home for example) where the regs had to comply with taxi regs and the vehicle was possibly not used all year round.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had considered similar Pete, maybe wrong but such a vehicle might well have evidence of extra equipment for the less able??

Anyway, a long morning at the auction, plenty of time to check for visual 'discrepancies'.
Often the drivers seat in these is well worn on the outer edge and flattened due to the regular climbing in and out to / from the elevated position. All leather in this one (the front 2 heated (untested)) and little evidence of the seat being very well used.
Pedal rubbers (easy to replace I know) were looking good.
The V6 engine sounded dieselish at tickover, maybe a little more than my now gone C320. Being inside and enclosed could be the reason.
Lecky side doors work ok, Lecky drivers sunroof, 2 more lecky panoramic sunroofs for the rear. Height adjustable rear suspension, hill start assist, speed sensitive steering,,,There are more trinkets than might be expected for a posh van.
Likely as not I'll sell the 17" wheels (c/w the ditch finders fitted), and the Comand (but I'll see if I favour it first). Also likely is that there are 2 leather captains seat in the rear more than I need, 4 are there and 2 needed (occasionally).
Extra long wheel base it's the same as my present Vito but a much higher spec.

Fingers crossed I went for it, when it's near a star pc I believe I can compare the ECU recorded mileage to the dash, I wouldn't be shocked if there is a 75k difference, even after saying there is no obvious signs of heavy wear.

Last edited:

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
when it's near a star pc I believe I can compare the ECU recorded mileage to the dash

The mileage can be correlated across several of the Vito's computers with Star. (e.g. the service routine would hopefully have several date/mileage points in its file table.)

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
The mileage can be correlated across several of the Vito's computers with Star. (e.g. the service routine would hopefully have several date/mileage points in its file table.)
Might have been a taxi or private hire vehicle, most licensing authorities insist on MOT every 6 months.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Delivered by BCA today. MOT history online and now with the service book I can see the history better.
Bought in Poole, Dorset May 09.

2 services by MB Poole, 2nd service March 2013, on this day was the 3rd MOT at 18.8k miles. This suggests that Poole had carried out all work and MOT's till this date.
The vehicle is fitted with wheelchair floor anchors, so not unreasonable to assume it was bought by a nursing home, even though that assumes they had the anchors fitted.

So in the first 4 years there is approx usage of 7.3k, 4.8k, 3k and 3.6k, that all looks feasible to me.

The next service 12 months later is exactly 19k miles at MB Chester, maybe a suspiciously round figure. As the following years see 30k + per year increases, all with records in the same area, the 19k miles might well be a mix of low usage in Dorset and high, likely taxi, usage around Chester.

To be confirmed but the usage looks to me to be feasibly explained.

Due a service, well actually it has only done 16.7k miles since the last, and these can do well in excess of 22k between, so has only been reset to the lower mileage option.
The parking sensors have an issue,
the adjustable height rear suspension seems to be inoperative.
But so far I'm a happy chappy, and Larisa that has repeatedly said my black Vito looks good is now enjoying the new toys. Electric rear doors, lecky sunroofs, lecky rear windows are all nice novelties for the lass.
I've thoughts to replace the front leather and heated seats with some from an ML (164), the lecky with memory and heated appeals to me (and shouldn't be as complicated an exchange as the 163's I've put in the Vito). Larisa likes the Viano seats.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Put my vito in the ford scrappage scheme , allowed £4.7k on it .not bad as its covered over 400k miles (original engine) and Ive driven every one them.
Its been a taxi all its life and the last year have used it as a builders van. It is a real heap believe me but its mechanically sound.
I dont like the new A class and I dont need a big car anymore so gone for the 2.0 ltr diesel auto titanium Kuga and Im very impressed with it. Only drawback is the 2 month waiting list.
I havn't owned a ford since the 70's.
I've still got the R129 SL to play with though.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Put my vito in the ford scrappage scheme , allowed £4.7k on it .not bad as its covered over 400k miles (original engine) and Ive driven every one them.
Its been a taxi all its life and the last year have used it as a builders van. It is a real heap believe me but its mechanically sound.
I dont like the new A class and I dont need a big car anymore so gone for the 2.0 ltr diesel auto titanium Kuga and Im very impressed with it. Only drawback is the 2 month waiting list.
I havn't owned a ford since the 70's.
I've still got the R129 SL to play with though.

that's the exact car dad has on motability. like me, hes no fan of autos, but hes disabled in a way that it was either an auto or give up driving. long story short, hes had it about a year exactly and so far he rates it as one of his best cars EVER as its higher than a car (easier access for him) rides well (for a 4x4 style car) and handles pretty well too (again for a 4x4 style car). I'm assuming as yours will be the latest version with the 'big' grille, there will have been some tweaks and improvements over the outgoing version which dad has. did you opt for the 2 or 4 wheel drive? dad has the 2wd version but I suspect the 4wd version might be on his shopping list when the time comes to change (if he can still get it through motability)

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
that's the exact car dad has on motability. like me, hes no fan of autos, but hes disabled in a way that it was either an auto or give up driving. long story short, hes had it about a year exactly and so far he rates it as one of his best cars EVER as its higher than a car (easier access for him) rides well (for a 4x4 style car) and handles pretty well too (again for a 4x4 style car). I'm assuming as yours will be the latest version with the 'big' grille, there will have been some tweaks and improvements over the outgoing version which dad has. did you opt for the 2 or 4 wheel drive? dad has the 2wd version but I suspect the 4wd version might be on his shopping list when the time comes to change (if he can still get it through motability)
2 litre diesel auto is an auto 4 wheel drive depending on road conditions. Reason I chose the kuga was same as your dads as Im getting old now and joints give me grief at times.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom