Vibration at motorway speeds - unknown cause

benmays99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W126 300SE 1991
Hi guys wonder if I get your suggestions on my latest W126 job
I have a vibration felt through the floor and the steering wheel at motorway speeds of 60-80mph. I've had the wheels welded and balanced as they were slightly bent which I thought would fix the issue but the vibration still remains but is lessened.
What could the culprit be now? I'm thinking my next step should be to get a 4 wheel alignment? If not maybe it could be to do with the prop shaft balancing or somewhere else in the driveline?
Let me know if anyone has any thoughts!
Thanks
Ben

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
The reason for al the wheels being bent might throw some more light on the issue of the vibration.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I'd jack up the car so that you can spin the front wheels freely and using a solid object with some sort of marker check that the wheels are actually round. I've used a piece of wood with a carpet tack stuck on with some bluetac before now.
Also check that you've not lost any weights since the rebalance - look for a clear patch with no weight.
Don't forget to check the back of the car as well.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
Possibly warped brake disk? Brake disk not quite flat to the hub. If you can get to see the disk and caliper, is the disk exactly the same distance from the caliper when rotated

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I have seen a few cars going down the road with the undertray flapping about because it has worked loose, which would tend to show up at motorway speeds. Is yours secure?

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Wonder what brand the tyres are... front in particular. And their age??

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom