Vito Conversion to Motorhome ??

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
My thoughts when going for this conversion idea were,

A Mercedes as they are ergonomically well designed, and I have familiarity. This forum is certainly better than most when it comes to knowledgeable assistance from MB experts.

A vito over the sprinter for better fuel economy, there are only to be 2 of us so should be big enough, especially as it's the exLWB.

The more powerful four pot (the 115) over the v6, again with economy in mind.

Post 2005 to hopefully leave serious rust issues behind, and also the more modern the better the spec, generally. So this vito has ABS and ESP. Also has cruise control and air con.
Most of the older ready converted will be very unlikely to have these advantages and will also come with much less efficient engines. The risk of rust has to be greater.

The aim is to use it some before deciding on the need for a raising roof at approx £1750.

Yesterday over 290 miles and cruising most of the time at 65ish the return was an actual 36mpg. This should improve some with the EGR mod, but of course towing the boat will devastate that.

The insurance as a motorhome, with many declared changes for 4k miles was £214 pa.

Assuming I can do a reasonable job of this the finished product should be better suited to our usage, but time'll tell on that one.
If anyone can help with the seat connections I would appreciate it. Now I have seats filling the garage. As a traveliner it came with 6 seats in the rear and now there are 5 more from an ML. I could do with fitting the ML seats and selling the rest on.

Last edited:
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1246715#post1246715

"I've a front SAM problem I think.

The Vito, pending a no rush conversion, has just been siting there.
The battery seems shot but I'm reluctant to replace till I need the van. So a while ago I connected a solar 4 watt charger in hope of it putting some energy in there, it failed.
I ran a cable from the solar panel on the dash, out the door, under the bonnet and crocked onto the +ve in the front fuse box. For this I had to leave the clamp on cover resting on top with the bonnet down.
Confident water wouldn't ingress there may have been some effect from the high humidity.
There is moisture getting inside the cab from above some how. This could be condensation on the roof but more likely the front screen allowing ingress, unless any one has better thoughts.

So today I thought I would jump start and give it a run, getting the oil circulating and the engine up to temp sort of thing.
With the donor battery connected after a while the n/s indicators lit permanently, and 1 brake light. The fr wipers went for 1/3 a sweep and stopped, can't get action there now. A few other interesting please itself actions too.
I swapped the batteries and got a start, it wasn't going to happen with a donor and charger with all sorts of lights draining the boost set.

It started with ease, no ABS, no ESP, lights on but dipped only (couldn't turn off), no wipers at all, partial interior lighting, dash saying parking brake on and new brakes worn. A god run, restet of code ou4523 and no change.

I've put some rice in a cloth sack and left it in the clamped closed front fuse box, a vain hope but why not. I've left the same close to the light switch in case that's got moisture affecting it.

I'm expecting the rice to be self raised by morning and if I'm lucky some of the lost functions might have returned.
At least from here I know I can source a second hand fr SAM as plug and play."

I've copied this post here as the condensation issue starts to have more relevance to the intended use as a Motorhome.

Last edited:
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well no improvement this morning so I intend to remove the SAM to dry in the warm, another vain hope but little to lose.

Heavy rain last night/ this morning and the inside roof is with water droplets again. this doesn't seem to be front the front screen as the top of that is lower.
Yesterday I removed the plastic screw in bungs that are for a roof bar option. Poking into the 16 holes they don't seem to go through so are already sealed. I wrapped in PTFE anyway.
Looking for other ingress possibilities there is the rear hatch cable grommet, at the rear it's positively dripping and above this, I'll seal it anyway. The rear hatch hinge bolts are a possibility?? I'll remove and seal.
Most likely now is condensation as the roof is wet, not damp, in all areas I've felt.
This being the case why does a van suffer like this when cars don't?
Have other van drivers noticed this issue?

I've been considering insulation anyway for both sound and heat benefits. It may solve this somewhat but I would still have some concerns regarding trapping moisture here and there.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
I had a problem with water getting into my Vito. It manifested itself by squirting up through a small split in the drivers footwell worn floor lino and, excessive condensation.

After pulling everything apart and extensive testing to find the source I think I'd found it. I removed the black plastic scuttle panel under the wiper blades. The trough underneath has drain holes each side with a rubber flap. Mine had blocked up with leaves, twigs and general muck on one side (the down slope side). Water was also pooling because of this and I can only guess was seeping its way into the cab

I gave it all a good clean out, let the floor dry out and haven't had it repeat (yet).

Might be, or might not, be the case with yours. Have a look under the floor mat first.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that, blocked drains are a common problem for the MB's, likely other makes too, especially after autumn. Television has often sent details out of how to clear the drains.

In my Vito the inside roof is wet. As the van doesn't sit level I'm open to the possibility of Ingress finding it's way up to the roof, but I'm now expecting condensation to be the cause. A bit confused though as condensation is when cool meets warm. The van just sitting there is just plain cool.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Thanks for that, blocked drains are a common problem for the MB's, likely other makes too, especially after autumn. Television has often sent details out of how to clear the drains.

In my Vito the inside roof is wet. As the van doesn't sit level I'm open to the possibility of Ingress finding it's way up to the roof, but I'm now expecting condensation to be the cause. A bit confused though as condensation is when cool meets warm. The van just sitting there is just plain cool.

temp inside will change at a different rate to the temp outside though and thats when you get the condensation

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update.
Out with the SAM and cover removed, it was wet not just damp.
There is verdigris growth around the lower pcb's so I doubt this SAM will ever recover even if dried and cleaned. I'll decide when I get back from skiing if I should chance a second hand replacement or buy new.

I've removed the ECU as well to gain space for cleaning / drying. The engine was running fine so I don't anticipate that having any issues.

Question.
There is still a unit to the fore of the fuse box, not removed as yet.
What is it's purpose anyone?

sparkydude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Old vito 110cdi now gone , New vito 115 2008 2.2L
got any pictures of which unit your referring to ?? I will have a look in EPC for you and see if there is anything there of use.

Nick

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I took it out it's a Siemens unit, black plastic, and google describes it as a gearbox unit. The memory unit perhaps?? Remember mine's an auto.

Anyway, all dried re installed and no surprise same as.
I'll source a SAM, but after we get back from skiing.

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom