w124 300TE-24valve fuel system

Zahid Jahangir

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te-24/1989/3.0
when i purchased this car, i thought it was a non fuel injection, now realising its an old skool mechanical fuel injected system.

the car never came with a manual, i just wanted to know more about this system. i wanted to understand if this system has an ecu. wanted to see which components or parts are part of the fueling system.

i understand that wants you take off the airfilter housing, underneath it has the bosch CIS K jetronic system. i wanted to see what else this in connected to e.g fuel pump, any other sensors etc.

i want to try something else, so temporary i want to remove this system, and just have the inlet manifold with the butterfly valve which operates the accelerator.

i am sure a bigger butterfly valve can be purchased as i have seen an aftermarket one designed at 100mm diameter, which means more air. so this can fitted to the inlet manifold for more power. i do not have intention to turbocharge this beast of an engine which is a twin cam 3.0 litre petrol 24v of my 300TE-24 wagon!

i want to experiment this engine based on the carburetor system. no electronics controling the fuel except the fuel pump, and increase power!

any help or comments welcomed, thanx.

regards,

zahid

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Seems like a strange thing to do. Google KE-JET Injection and it will list all the components involved.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You need to understand the effects of changes to the inlet. A larger butterfly may flow more air at the very top end but it won't do any good if the rest of the engine can't use the extra air. You may also find that increasing the size of the butterfly harms the low down torque and may have a detrimental effect on any inlet tract pulse tuning MB may have done.
Personally (given the classic status of your car) I'd leave it standard.
However...
All that said if you want to go ahead and are determined to lose the electronics I'd be looking at a Weber DCOE induction with 3x40 or 45DCOE carburettors (sit down before pricing it up - 40 DCOE carbs would probably be more than sufficient for road use). With this setup there is s lot of tuning flexibility and they have excellent support from tuning companies. One thing you may need to look at in your quest for zero electronics is how to handle ignition.

Whatever you do take a look at the whole system including cams, head, exhaust and if it's an automatic gearbox bear in mind changes may require a revalve of the valve body to get the shift points to match the character of the engine. To do it properly will not be cheap!

OP
Z

Zahid Jahangir

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te-24/1989/3.0
Iv seen this, it's a m103, running on a carburettor, if I had to do this for a m104 3.0 24v, would I need to change my distributor, single coil pack system, low pressure fuel pump.

What electronics would this affect.

Would I still need the ecu?, would it effect ant other sensor connected to the inlet manifold!

Could any please shed some light!

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zahid Jahangir

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300te-24/1989/3.0
found this video on YouTube, it's not a m104 but m103

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You need to know what gearbox you have. If its electronically controlled (722.5 or 6 for example) it will expect signals from the engine ECU. If your ignition is ECU controlled as opposed to mechanical you will need a different distributor with mechanical advance. If you have ASR it will no longer operate.
I don't know why you want carburettors, most people go to injection as it gives improved performance, economy and tractability.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom