W124 diesel mpg

jjrodger

Reaction score
I realise this is an ancient thread but hope my information might be useful.

My 1993 E300 diesel T with automatic transmission over the last 52,000miles has given 30.24mpg.

The best it has given is 35.2mpg and the worst is 23.5mpg. Most of my running is high speed or commuting in heavy urban traffic. I tend to cruise it at 85 to 100mph, which is possibly faster than it would like. A significant proportion of those miles were fully loaded with a roof box. The best figure was achieved when my wife ran it for a while. Although her use was for commuting, she is a gentle and slow driver. The worst figure was achieved with a full load and a roof box, running hard across France in high temperatures. The car also has a high specification with air con and electric seats doing no favours for economy. The car has 361,000miles on the clock.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
The figures suggested by mercedes are easily beatable in my opinion - my w124 e220 says it will do 34mpg at a steady 100km/h but in tank to tank conditions I've nudged over 40mpg (doing a near constant 95km/h but obviously stopping/slowing for bends/traffic too and the odd bit of waiting at traffic lights).

Seems manufacturers were more "honest" back then when the emissions/fuel consumption wasn't such a big selling/tax point!

I'd bet an e300 diesel could acheive 45mpg if kept under the speed limit and out of traffic.

Interesting I posted in this first time round saying 45mpg should be easily achievable with a 300D, well I now have one and have never got less than 45mpg tank to tank and 55mpg is possible over long runs at 60-65mph. It is the manual though and the '87 pre catalysts, airbags etc which must help.

I don't know what it is about my driving habits but they seem to bring out the best of the W124s mpg compared to everybody else - I never got less than 35mpg on my E220 auto estate tank to tank whereas the forum said 27-32 max and as this thread shows for a 300D 50+ does not seem achieved by anyone else. Whereas when I drive my parents cars or new hire cars I seem to hit about the same mpg as everyone else does, meaning they actually use more fuel on the same routes than my 300D. I understand 60-65 is better than 75 and constant speed through town with maximium anticipation in a highish gear rather than braking and accelerating hard is best but it seems to make a big difference to W124s and not so much on other cars? Could anyone explain why?

jonah1237

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c250 amg
I am getting 37 driving local and got 48 on a 110 mile run doing 70 c250 estate

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom