W124 E280 4 Spd Auto (Est), Ignition, Infra-Red Remote

OP
J

JensH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124
IR Remote

Fitted my first lock barrel replacement today.

8 mins, start to finish.

Lock works.

Struggling to synch to remote, though. Not working per WIS...

Tailgate lock on order...

Jens

OP
J

JensH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124
That synch'ing feeling...

Ok, so I have obtained and installed an MB-sourced, and expensive, NS door lock barrel, with a tailgate one on order also. Both the original locks had seized through non-use.

I expected that I would then achieve a straightforward synch of the second, NEW, IR key I also sourced from MB last year, which I not been able to synch before owing to the seized locks.

I found this in a helpful post from 2005:

"There are two types of infra-red systems on w124s, with different option codes.
The procedure for synchronising is different.
To synchronise the system, do as follows:

One procedure, for option code 885, is:
1. Point transmitter in key-fob to the door receiver.
2. Press the key button briefly.
3. Go to ignition switch and turn the key to position 2 (this must be done within 30 secs of above).

The other procedure, for option code 880, is:
1. Aim transmitter at driver’s door LED.
2. Press button for 5 seconds.
3. Go round to passenger door, unlock with flip-out key.
4. The infrared remote control is now operational again."

My car is code 880 for the IR option. I think the distinction between the two is that 885 links to an MB-fitted alarm and also has the console mounted central locking switch; hence the need to synch through the ignition. 880 has neither of those.

So...
My new key is working and sends its little red bleep signal. I followed the procedure above for 880, and have tried several times, but the key will not synch. I also, btw, tried the 885 approach, for what it was worth.

Any ideas anyone? If not, I think the answer maybe to wait for the tailgate lock, because there the physical lock is connected directly to an IR receiver - maybe that will work?

Jens :confused:

Top Bottom