w124 estate e220 1996 - buying advice

saz

Reaction score
New to the site - good range of experiences and expertise from all contributors.
Sorry for repeating similar threads posted.

Found a local (Northern Ireland) w124 e220 1996 estate, @88k, FSH at £3k.
Not quite povery spec - e/w, esr, trader dealer providing new mot.
Looking to test drive in next couple of days.

What should I be looking for in terms of typical faults at this age/mileage.

Thanks in advance.

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
Rather than go through a list here, probably the best thing is to use the forum search feature, eg with the terms "buying advice W124" or something like that. The 1996 E220 is one of the better of the W124 estates, so you should be very pleased with this. Obviously, a car of this age may have small issues which the new buyer would need to attend to.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
W124 estate 1996

OK, a 1996 E220 with 88k and fsh at £3k is cheap, cheap, cheap so buy it

... but why is it cheap? Either it's underpriced (possible if the seller doesn't know his Mercs), it's a dog (we'll come to that) or the local market is depressed

The spec you say it has is fairly poverty-spec - they all had e/w and ESR at that age. It should have twin airbags. Was is an Irish-market car or an import? Has it been reregistered? Is it a cut & shut? Insurance write-off?

So, things to look out for:

* clocking
* banging or bouncy rear suspension
* rusty arches
* jerky, snatchy auto boxes
* sunroof that doesn't work properly
* weeping or blown cylinder head gaskets
* cars that have spent 2 years doing no mileage
* shagged interior
* bad colour combinations

That's about it. If the history is believable and it's not smoke silver with a red interior (just check eBay this week!) and it drives like a silent magic carpet then buy it

If it clunks, clanks, rattles, jerks and wallows, don't buy it. At that age & mileage it should be whisper-quiet and totally smooth

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

cjcor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI
Bolide said:

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Are you sure this is that CHEAP? About two months ago there was a discussion on prices.

IIRC, Andy_k bought his E320 with leather for less than £2000.

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
Bolide said:

I'd say that's about right for price, perhaps even a little expensive - £2000-2500 would be my estimate. Perhaps you're trying to "big up" the market for W124s, Nick??????

To add, I've just done a search on Autotrader, there are 48 E class estates below £3000, including 12 E220s.

Last edited:
OP
S

saz

Reaction score
Cheers guys - hopefully viewing Wednesday and will let you know how I get on.
As a comparison on recent local prices, a 1991 e220 estate fsh 116k two owner in light blue was a private sale @ £1,750.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
1996 E220

Just try finding a FSH car with 88k. Then try buying it!

OK, it's got a pretty minimal spec, it seems, and we know nothing about condition or colour, but the #1 thing I get asked for is "low mileage"

Personally I think "low mileage" is a mixed blessing (I'd prefer a car that's been ramped & stamped by a main dealer every year) but it's what people ask for and "the customer is always right"

I've not seen a <100k car for 18 months. So I say it's cheap

I've been in Andy_K's car and can't argue with it at £2k. But I don't get asked for "Andy's car" - I get asked for "low mileage"

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

PS - Big Up the market? Yes please!!! Of course my perspective may be different to others but I hope it's useful all the same

OP
S

saz

Reaction score
Had a viewing / test drive.
FSH was main dealer until @ 18k then independent until 88k.
Auto box seemed a tad snappy, but good kick-down.
No "funny" noises that I could tell, but exhaust looked on its last legs, esp. rusty rear box.
Driver seat was badly worn down in parts - but have seen the same on a VW Golf with similar mileage.
A few scrapes and b/work bangs and the paint work was quite dull (polish would be a distant memory!).
Side indicator was loose and had some rust coming through b/work.
Alloys badly scuffed and needed 2 new corners for rubber.

All in all - reckon I'd need to spend @ £500 - £600 to bring up to spec. (even without the a/c), and there was no movement on the selling price.

Onto the next one!!

Thanks for the help so far.

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
saz said:
Driver seat was badly worn down in parts - but have seen the same on a VW Golf with similar mileage.

This seems suspicious with the low mileage. Doesn't prove anything, just seems a little out of place. I think in summary, base your decision on condition, not age/mileage. Remember, low mileage ones will possibly have been stood for a while. These periods of inactivity could have been on a dealer's lot, many times over; or for a while on each occasion.

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
two words of very concise advice regarding that car

RUN AWAY!!!!!!

In more detail, none of it adds up.

I've not seen many Mercs where the dealer service history stops that early, that's almost as soon as the warranty ran out (if not before)

A car that old shouldn't have such low mileage unless it's been standing or clocked

Bodywork can cost a lot to put right - find a straight one

The seats shouldn't be worn that early - they normally last well over 100k before wearing through.

Keep looking - the right car will come along

Andy

OP
S

saz

Reaction score
Cheers folks - good to have backup to make the head rule the heart when you're going to part with the hard-earned!

Off to look at a 210 e230 estate 1996 tonight.

"1996 MERCEDES-BENZ E230 Elegance Estate Auto
Silver, MOT-10-2006. Airbags, Colour Coded, Front Fogs, Remote Central locking, Alloy wheels, Cruise control, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Power assisted steering, Roof rails, Rear headrests, Towbar. Dog Guard.Totally unmarked both inside and out,a real credit to its previous owner.No nicer example. £3,995"

No mention of history & reckon high mileage (local Northern Ireland car so local A/B roads rather than mainland motorway).

Any hints before I go in battle with the Dealer?

cheers.

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
from 1986 it can't be a W210 estate, it must be either a W123 or a very early W124. Either way that engine is going to have the single duplex timing chain - really not the ideal choice and possibly the weakest of the 230 engines.

Make sure you have well documented history of when the chain has been changed and when it is next due.

Andy

Last edited:

190D

Banned
Reaction score
andy_k said:
from 1986 it can't be a W210 estate, it must be either a W123 or a very early W124. Either way that engine is going to have the single duplex timing chain - really not the ideal choice and possibly the weakest of the 230 engines.

Make sure you have well documented history of when the chain has been changed and when it is next due.

Andy

Saz says its a 1996 & not a 1986 as you say and you do get w210,s and w124,s in 1996.

Last edited:
OP
S

saz

Reaction score
No worries - assumed as much ;-)
I'll get an opportunity to look at the w210 later this week, but am fairly hestitant about the rust problems comapred to w124.

Has anyone done a breakeven comparing the maintenance costs of a late w124 (i.e. replacing exhaust etc.) against an earlier w210 (rust etc.).

cheers

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
W124 costs vs W210 costs

I've been told by someone who's had two W210s, and a bunch of W124s, that parts for the W210 are around double the price for a W124

Easy enough to check: you just need VIN numbers for two "equivalent" models (try the 320) and a quick phone call to a dealership

If you price up tyres, discs, pads, air filter, oil filter and a couple of high-value parts (radiator, aircon condensor, ECU, window motor assembly) you should get a good idea. Certainly I'd be interested to know

If anyone's got the VIN for a late W124 320 with aircon and/or an earlyish W210 320 with aircon I'll do the legwork

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom