W124 estate - luggage screen removal

crt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'95 E300D estate, '16 Golf, '58 Unimog 404, '95 Defender CSW
I'm having real problems getting the luggage screen unit off the back of the folding rear seat in my E300D estate. The handbook says just slide it off to the left, and after a hard whack it certainly moved to the left but there it stayed. It won't come off. I've tried moving it back and forth and wiggling it but it won't budge.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'm having real problems getting the luggage screen unit off the back of the folding rear seat in my E300D estate. The handbook says just slide it off to the left, and after a hard whack it certainly moved to the left but there it stayed. It won't come off. I've tried moving it back and forth and wiggling it but it won't budge.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just a thought, have you tried with the seats folded

OP
C

crt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, though it is only possible (I think) for the thing to come off when they are folded down as the unit would foul the rear door pillar in the upright position.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
If it hasn't been removed for a while you really and I mean really need to thump it across. Mine was like this

OP
C

crt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, so when it comes off, it just slides straight out, it doesn't have to be slid and then lifted or anything like that? So far I've found a good kick made it move an inch or so. I'll give it an even bigger thumping in the morning.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
The cassette slides out to the passenger side. Fold the seats flat and it should slide out with no problem

If it doesn't want to slide then the screws that hold the guides may have come loose and are stopping the cassette from sliding. If that's the case, pull the cassette away from the seat back and slide it off. Then tighten the screws that hold the clips to the seat back

If the cassette slides about an inch, then stops, this is your problem. Proceed with care

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
C

crt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, Nick.

Thegemmesabogie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 320TE
It goes about three inches sideways then lifts out away from the seatback. It does not slide out the whole way and it's quite heavy which may be what is misleading you.

OP
C

crt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now sorted - it required a combination of the advice above: quite a hard shove, accompanied by being levered up with a stout screwdriver. A couple of loose screws will now be tightened and cobwebs cleared away: possibly the first time it has ever been off.

Thanks all.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom