W124 estate tailgate size

AlanWT

Reaction score
Hello All

Need to know if I can fit something in my 230TE, and have come to work by motorcycle today so can't measure it. Does anyone know:
a) The tailgate aperture dimensions
b) The width of the narrowest part of the load area, between the rear wheel arches

Thanks
Alan

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
42" between the arches. 45" tailgate width between the spare wheel cover & the tailgate edge - it's wider than that inside the car. 32" height of the tailgate opening

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
A

AlanWT

Reaction score
Brilliant: it should fit.

Thanks for that, Nick.

Alan

Ednamillion

Reaction score
42" between the arches. 45" tailgate width between the spare wheel cover & the tailgate edge - it's wider than that inside the car. 32" height of the tailgate opening

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Nick, just to complete this thread.....6 months later!....would you have the maximum load length for a 124 estate? I guess with rear seats folded (removed?) to tailgate?

Thanks,

Edna'...

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Nick, just to complete this thread.....6 months later!....would you have the maximum load length for a 124 estate? I guess with rear seats folded (removed?) to tailgate?

Thanks,

Edna'...

Depends where you have the drivers seat positioned. As I am a short arse, I can get over 2m on the floor with the back seats removed.

turnipsock

Reaction score
Is this something to do with your wifes xmas present?

It might be handy to note that you can sleep quite well in the back of a 124 estate...just incase you mess up the xmas present game.

Ednamillion

Reaction score
Thanks, Stumpy, I'm no giant myself. You figure, say, 1.8m is possible with tailgate closed?

Turnipsock :p - not really, but good to know! (The car might end up being the present if I don't get my skates on...)

Edna'...

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
1.8m is feasible yes, but it does depend on the height of the load before the back window comes into play.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom