W124 Remote locking problem

J-Scho

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 1994 E280 which appears to be spot on with one exception - the remote central locking doesn't work. The seller tells me the central locking works fine using the key in the lock - it's just the remote fobs that don't work. He suspected they just needed new batteries, but I'm sure I've read on here that this is not the case. I can't remember what the problem is though and whether it's an expensive/difficult fix or not. Can anyone help?

Should this minor thing put me off an otherwise mint car?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'm going to look at a 1994 E280 which appears to be spot on with one exception - the remote central locking doesn't work. The seller tells me the central locking works fine using the key in the lock - it's just the remote fobs that don't work. He suspected they just needed new batteries, but I'm sure I've read on here that this is not the case. I can't remember what the problem is though and whether it's an expensive/difficult fix or not. Can anyone help?

Should this minor thing put me off an otherwise mint car?

You can always add an after market alarm, it depends on the alarm that is fitted at present

If the car is mint then but it and sort it out, quite a lot on the forum on fixing these things, just price the car to allow for it

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
There are lots of different remote locking systems that could have been fitted - factory RCL with LEDs in the handles, MB dealer alarm with black keys, etc, etc. The answer (if there is one) will depend on which system the car has

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
J

J-Scho

Reaction score
Thanks guys. As the locking still works with the key I'll probably just buy it and see if it's fixable afterwards. I'm not sure yet which system it has but I'll report back if necessary!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom