W169 panoramic sunroof help

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
..pretty crappy these A class panorama roofs. I would assume these plastic clips like all plastic weathers Being subject to hot and cold then gets brittle and snaps.

if you have the part the MB part number is usually stamped on it

Fixerupagain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 2010
Nice while they work, but built to a price. I've seen my fair share of questionable "engineering" on cars over the years but this one raised the eyebrow a few more millimetres. The failure mode seems to be poor quality moulding/design, topped off with a sprinkle of 'make it a difficult as possible to fix'. Sadly the part numbers are not visible whilst installed and I'm not sure if the parts can be replaced in situ. Everything I'm finding seems to suggest removal of the entire roof to repair. But hopefully someone on here can help me out with some info, part numbers or maybe a walkthrough.

Thanks in advance.

negotiator

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e-class 220D
Fixerupagain,
Have you read back through the posts? If you do there are ones giving wonderful advice on how to negotiate the fixing of the problem. Not easy for non technical people but it's there.

Fixerupagain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 2010
Fixerupagain,
Have you read back through the posts? If you do there are ones giving wonderful advice on how to negotiate the fixing of the problem. Not easy for non technical people but it's there.

Hi. Yes, I have read through the entire thread and wonderful WIS captures posted by GLK - thank you. It's looking more likely it isn't an in-place fix. I believe the part number for the repair kit is A1697800244? If anyone can confirm. Has anyone here carried out this repair? Any tips welcome.

Cheers.

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
Hi, the problem I have with mine is that the 'plastic' panels have become discoloured and rough, though just in patches. I have tried 1000g wet and dry then Tcut to no avail, just leaving a matt patch.
Im thinking of trying the blowlamp next as this is how they 'flame polish' cut acrylic :eek:

Some ueseful Info I have tripped over in my travels.

The sunroofs are manufactured by Webasto.
Here someone completely refurbed his W168 which I assume is similar.

Ebay has plenty of spares.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...sunroof+repair+kits+for+merc+a+class&_sacat=0

Webasto links.

This is the repair kit for the W168 the Webasto manual that is part of the A 1687800405 repair kit.

Last edited:

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
Here is a video showing cleaning and maintenance of a W169 though it is in German.. if you follow the channel there are loads of videos on replacing and restoring the sunroof.
This is what MB (should) do at every service ...lol.

targatopp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk/2000/320
Hi there im new to the forum. I have a w245 b-200 2010 and i have the same issue. The lamella roof works fine but the wind deflector dosnt open or close. I know what the problem is. Its the rail guide plastic clips on both sides. I know were to order them from. The only problem is i have no idea how the fit the new guides in. Any help will be much appreciated thanks!
Hi Anthony dis you fix this and if so were the parts available from mercedes??.several you tubes ingerman make it look simple without taking the roof out! thanks Paul

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
Fitting video is part of the Webasto series I posted above.

This is the special lubricating paste.

Last edited:

targatopp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk/2000/320
Hi. Yes, I have read through the entire thread and wonderful WIS captures posted by GLK - thank you. It's looking more likely it isn't an in-place fix. I believe the part number for the repair kit is A1697800244? If anyone can confirm. Has anyone here carried out this repair? Any tips welcome.

Cheers.
Hi did you ever sort this out as i am struggling to find out what parts are needed and how to mend the non lifting wind deflector om my w169 2005.nercedes only want to sell me a huge kit of parts for about £130 a side! thanks Paul

targatopp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk/2000/320

Cheers.
Did you sort this out ? my w169 has developed the same symptoms thanks Paul

Fixerupagain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 2010

How much of this can be done with the roof in situ depends on what has broken.

These parts should fix it.Buyer beware on these
FWIW Buyer beware on these replica parts. I purchased several sets from various eBay vendors including the one quoted above. ALL of them were sub par in quality, being either oversized, undersized or in a couple of cases, warped - making them very tight in the roof frame. None of them had the internal cast metal reinforcement either. Your millage may vary, but the amount of effort that goes into this fix makes the kit from Mercedes a no brainer. I spent near enough the same amount as the kit trying to find decent aftermarket parts to no avail.

Fixerupagain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 2010
Hi, the problem I have with mine is that the 'plastic' panels have become discoloured and rough, though just in patches. I have tried 1000g wet and dry then Tcut to no avail, just leaving a matt patch.
Im thinking of trying the blowlamp next as this is how they 'flame polish' cut acrylic :eek:
Prep and lacquer them with a good quality 2pac clear coat. It's the original UV coating that's failed - had a very lengthy telephone conversation with a Webasto engineer about it when trying to source replacement seals for the slats- which aren't available even though they are easily replaceable. You need to remove the outer layer of oxidised material before clear coating, but they'll look brand new afterwards and hold up much better than what was originally on there. Failing that, there's a German guy on eBay that is selling reconditioned slats already clear coated for those who want a simpler solution, not cheap though.

rob_mitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200 Elegance W169
Hi, I am afraid I have yet another question about panoramic roof repairs.

The links and info in these posts have been very helpful. Sunroof is currently removed and I am trying to re-build with the MB repair kit.

The kit includes 4 of these parts

1646141057705.png

These parts are also included in the Ebay replacement parts.

When roof was dismantled only one was complete and I didn't notice exactly how its was fitted, it sort of fell out.

I have searched this thread including the otherwise excellent Youtube videos but they never come in to view.

Would anyone be able to explain where thes 4 parts fit, rebuild stalled at present.

IMG_2314.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-aBQMv-ltM&list=PLX58cuCQzWC9LYMViOwQkvVvnIlVw_Y4-&index=4

Insert https before the above link.
Does this work better, follow the series by CATAHA though the language is only in German.

rob_mitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200 Elegance W169
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-aBQMv-ltM&list=PLX58cuCQzWC9LYMViOwQkvVvnIlVw_Y4-&index=4

Insert https before the above link.
Does this work better, follow the series by CATAHA though the language is only in German.
Hi,

Yes I have been using this video and the other ones on CATAHA series, they were very helpful for the removal of the sunroof from the car and stripping the roof down.

I have also got the MB official guides such as the AR77.20-P-1710AK which covers installation of lamella guides.

These little "t"-pieces show on both the official MB parts list for W169 panoramic roof and in the Ebay replacement parts.

However the do not appear in either of the relevant CATAHA videos, the other 2 attachments show the parts which are re-fitted.

I am thinking about doing a trial re-build as per CATAHA videos and test it before re-fitting to car.

Attachments

• MBPartsList.JPG
    MBPartsList.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Rear Corner W169.JPG
    Rear Corner W169.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 17
  • REplacement W169.JPG
    REplacement W169.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 16
  • W169 Front Hinge.JPG
    W169 Front Hinge.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 19

howdee

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180cdi elegance 2008

Some ueseful Info I have tripped over in my travels.

The sunroofs are manufactured by Webasto.
Here someone completely refurbed his W168 which I assume is similar.

Ebay has plenty of spares.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...sunroof+repair+kits+for+merc+a+class&_sacat=0

Webasto links.

This is the repair kit for the W168 the Webasto manual that is part of the A 1687800405 repair kit.
Hi we use a product called micro mesh for aircraft acrylic windows starts at about 400 grit and goes up to 12000 just start low and with each subsequent rub go at 90 degrees until remove previous marks
Should bring back as new

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
Thanks for that tip I will try it and report my results back.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom